Koh Phayam


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand
January 12th 2015
Published: January 18th 2015
Edit Blog Post

We took a songthaew (Galvin's favourite bus) to Ranong pier and boarded to slow boat to Ko Phayam. We stayed 3 nights there. The boat trip is 2 hours. Pass mangroves on the way down the river, then lots of tiny wooded islands, before reaching Ko Phayam. From the pier it was just a short walk to our accomodation. We had bungalows opposite each other just a few yards from the sandy beach. First day we spent eating, and swimming and playing on the beach close to the bungalows. Of course, the sea is not cold in Thailand, but tepid and refreshing!

Next 2 days we hired motorbikes to explore the far side of the island. This side is even better. It is quieter and cleaner. There are no cars on Ko Phayam, only motorbikes. There are beautiful sandy beaches and warm seas. We had another lovely lunch under the trees at a beachside restuarant (food is both cheap and delicious in Thailand, so can eat well), and then walked along the beach to the Hippy Bar. This is an amazing sight. The buildings are completely made out of driftwood. Quite something. Had a swim here before walking back along the beach to the motorbikes and driving back to eat another meal closer to our bungalows.

Last day we drove up to a viewpoint where there is a new upmarket resort, and had a drink. (This one has a pool, but still has the low rise bungalows typical ofthe island) Then across the island through fields of cashew nut trees to another beach. This one was a must for Fred and I, being called Long Beach, (after us!?) Here we had yet another gorgeous meal beneath the trees at a beachside restuarant, and a paddle, before driving back to return the motorbikes. We then went back to Ranong on the speed boat, which took only half hour instead of 2 hours, but smelt a bit of petrol, and didnt have such a good view as the slow boat. It was nice to have sampled both sorts of boat.

All in all, a lovely little island stay.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



Tot: 0.352s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0696s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb