Day 7 - Rain rain rain!


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand
July 15th 2014
Published: July 15th 2014
Edit Blog Post

When we woke up this morning we could hear the rain pounding on the roof and the wind was howling ... We knew it was not a good start!
Despite the weather, after breakfast, we set off exploring in our hire car ... This time heading south from our resort. We wanted to see what existed between Khao Lak and Phuket because when we arrived it was the middle of the night so we hadn't seen any of the landscape on that transfer.
What we discovered today is that there is not much of interest between where we are and Phuket island!!
We actually drove for about 1 1/2 hours south and found ourselves crossing the bridge to Phuket then stopped at a beach called Nai Haing. When we got there it was still raining so we took shelter in a beach restaurant and stayed for lunch. The boys did play in the sand when the rain let up ... But it was windy also .... Not great beach weather at all!! This area looked very nice and I imagine in good weather it would be a beautiful place to visit!!
After driving back we went in search of a Police boat that had been washed inland during the Tsunsmi 10 years ago. It sits in the same place today as where it landed after the Tsunsmi. We measured the distance in the car from the beach ... It was just over 2km inland! We also read that at the time the Tsunami hit, it was anchored about 1 nautical mile offshore and it was on guard watching over some Thai Royals who were holidaying at that time in Khao Lak. The prince was actually riding a jet ski when the tsunami hit and he lost his life. His mother and sister survived as they sought shelter in a high area of their resort. This police boat therefore has a significant history in this local area.
This afternoon, we returned to the resort and for the first time in the day the rain stopped! We took the opportunity to go for a walk along the beach and played some beach tennis and soccer for a while. After getting a bit hot and sweaty we cooled down with a cold drink from a local beach bar - nice! During this run around time the sun actually came through the clouds so there is hope for a better day tomorrow!
As they say ... You can't change the weather!
We've booked with a local to take us to Phang na Bay tomorrow so we are hoping the skies stay clear for us 😊
Will write more after tomorrow. Bye for now xx


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0412s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb