Day off


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand
April 9th 2014
Published: April 12th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Had an amazing day yesterday went on a four Island tour, recommended by some of the other volunteers. Picked up at the center at 8.20 and driven to the old town on the other south of the island. Enjoyed the drive, straight through the centre of the island, lush forest and tree covered hills, monkeys by the roadside and even saw one of the local elephant camps. Lots of little houses dotted here and there, not as much tourist places although some mixed in between. Old town itself consists of a main street at the waters edge and a lot of the little businesses and houses are built on stilts over the water. The long narrow pier protrudes quite a distance into the water and it's here that a lot of the tours arrive and leave from the island.

We departed on a longtail boat the "Oranee" our first destination Koh Mook renowned for its Emerald cave. Normally this is the second destination but because of the high tide we had to go there first. You have to swim through a dark cave a distance of eighty metres before it opens up onto a little lagoon surrounded completely on all
Black PearlBlack PearlBlack Pearl

Not quite but close!
sides by towering limestone cliffs that are covered in trees and vegetation, it's incredible! like something straight out of a movie. It was used by smugglers to hide their booty. It was a bit daunting, not because of the dark but because of the amount of people bobbing about on the water all with orange life jackets on and trying to follow guides with little torches attempting to light the way. What an amazing surprise when you finally get to the end and see this little hidden haven. Even though it was filled with people it wasn't hard to imagine what it would have been like with no one-else there. Definitely worth the effort. I was waiting on Captain Jack and the Black Pearl making an appearance! they must have visited this spot lol! The south east corner of Koh Lanta is home to a unique group of people known as the sea gypsies or Chao Ley (people of the sea) They lived a semi nomadic lifestyle in the Andaman sea and these seafarers of Indo-Malaysia origins were the first settlers on the island over five hundred years ago. Maybe they were the ones that discovered this little gem.
Bat colonyBat colonyBat colony

Look closely you'll see the bats



Our second and third stops were Ko chuek and Ko Ma, we spent some time here, snorkelling on the coral reefs. I have never seen so many different coloured fish, absolutely teeming!, thousands of them, parrot fish,electric blue, green, purple stunning! Seargant Majors, Moreish Idol and I even met Nemo! The coral was incredible too so many different shapes and colours,felt like Jacques Cousteau. The water was so clear and so deep! a whole different world, loved it! By sheer coincidence I'm reading the life of Pi, at the moment, so appropriate.

Our last stop was Ko Naigi, lovely buffet meal on the beach, time for a swim and just chill. We took a different route back from Old town to the center so got to see another part of the island which I intend to explore more on my own. Dinner on the beach watching the sunset, perfect end to a perfect day. Refreshed and ready to get back to work! Passes so quick.


Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Koh MookKoh Mook
Koh Mook

The Emerald Cave





Emerald caveEmerald cave
Emerald cave

Surrounding area
CaveCave
Cave

You can just about see the cave in the background
Koh MaaKoh Maa
Koh Maa

Snorkelling


Koh NgaiKoh Ngai
Koh Ngai

Lunch on the beach
Mr Wee's Pizza place Mr Wee's Pizza place
Mr Wee's Pizza place

Dinner watching the sunset



12th April 2014

Day off
Hi May I enjoyed reading all about your day off and what you managed to get to do. So interesting and enjoyable the places looks fab. By the sound of it you really enjoyed the reef and all the fish and no doubt it was fantastic. I just cant swim with fish although really love seeing them. Maybe one day I will get over my fish phobia and force myself to do it. look forward to some more interesting stories and photographs keep well Elaine x
12th April 2014

Wow, May, that is just stunning. You are so lucky to see these places, so many beautiful places on the planet! What great memories :)
15th April 2014

Day off
May - this is just incredible. What a wonderful experience you are having - and thankyou for taking the time to share it with us!

Tot: 0.109s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0478s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb