trust me that is not my hotel!


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand
November 9th 2012
Published: November 9th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Oh Bangkok how I have missed you. Bangkok is a great starting point for the rest of SE Asia. Its like riding a bike. You've been away for awhile but nothing has changed...well except for being dropped off nowhere near your hotel.

After a lovely set of flights, on which we were served some kind of meal every 2 hours, and a quick layover in Japan, we made it to Bangkok at 12am in the morning. In preparation for the cab ride, we had printed out a map of our hotel per the hotel's recommendation. When we got dropped off by the taxi, he pointed at a road, and said its just over there. Ok sure makes sense, he cant drive on the walking street. So off we go. Down the street, no hotel, turn around at the dead end, still no hotel. We ask the people at 7-11, they say its just out the door. Still no hotel. After about a half hour of asking at various places, walking by the same group of people eating dinner, frustration sets in. Attempts by other tourists to help, gave us conflicting directions. We were at a loss. Luckily we walked into a hotel with a name similar to our hotel. We were told we were no where near where we needed to be and would have to take a tuk tuk. Fine, 50 baht for a tuk tuk. But in true Bangkok fashion the driver had no change so our 50 turned into 80 as I demanded whatever coins he had as change.

We arrived at our lovely hotel to some cool tea and a warm welcome. Four hours of jet lagged sleep and we were up ready to wander the town. Of course I had to take Nick to see the usual spots - Grand Palace and Wat Pho. Repeats for myself, but still great to see again. It must be some holiday in South Korea now because busloads of people were being dumped at the Grand Palace right as we got there. Nick tried to blend in and follow them, but was instantly spotted as an imposter. Perhaps they did not recognize his traditional Korean phrase of "herrrro prease".

After a little lunch in the market (2 dollars for pad se eew!) it was off to Kho San Road - home of hostels, great massages, lots of shopping, oh yes and lots of people wanting you to get in their tuk tuk, or buy a suit. No thank you.

We are taking a little break before heading out for dinner and hoping to find the Thai Bob Marley Mandi and I listened to two years ago. Tomorrow is Saigon!


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



9th November 2012
reclining Buddah

awesome!
9th November 2012

Love it!
I can totally picture where you are and am so jealous! Eat tons of food for me :) When you're in Saigon - you have to hold your camera to your chest and take a video crossing the street for the blog, such an insane city. Keep the updates coming and can't wait to see you guys over christmas!
10th November 2012

:)
Looks like a great start to a great trip!!

Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0341s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb