Kanchancburi (Bridge Over The River Kwai)


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand
August 23rd 2012
Published: August 29th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Hey everyone, were a bit behind on the blogs!! Busy! Busy! But we will add them as soon as we have time 😊 here is the next installment which is just one week late haha enjoy!!

Today we took a day trip from Bangkok to Kanchanaburi so we could visit the bridge over the river kwai and the death railway.

We were picked up at 7am and after changing buses twice and recieving a lovely pink sticker so the guides would know which bus to send us on we took off for our 2 hour journey to Kanchanburi.

First we visited the Allied War Cemetary, a gift from the Thai people to remember the 16,000 allied soldiers who died while building the Thailand Burma Railway. We even stumbled across two soldiers headstones with the name Byrne!!!

After that we drove to the famous Bridge Over the River Kwai. It was brilliant to walk across the bridge and stand on it as a train passed us, by just inches.

(Laura also found a man with a Leopard Cub which was very random and he let her hold him and take some pictures!!)

We were taken to a railway station and we got to ride a train over part of the famous Death Railway. We were on the train for 50 minutes and it was cool to get to travel on this famous railway. There was amazing scenery either side and we both really enjoyed it.

We were then brought to a floating home on the river where we were given a Thai lunch (Laura no likey), after lunch we drove to a waterfall where we got some great pictures. Unfortunately we did not get to spend as much time here as we would of liked but we now know there are MANY waterfalls here in Thailand so not to worry!!!

We had a brill trip the only downfall was our driver who couldn't seem to find his way back to Bangkok!! Also when he eventually got to Bangkok he was unable to find Khoa San Road!! Madness, he kept stopping the bus in traffic and getting out to ask police men and taxi drivers for directions and they were all laughing at him!! We were delighted when we eventually got back to our hotel!!!



Ian & Laura x


Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



5th September 2012

nice one
Looks like a great trip so far Burnsey (and Laura) keep an eye on those ladyboys though they have wandering hands

Tot: 0.104s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0826s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb