Chiang Mai


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand
August 22nd 2012
Published: August 22nd 2012
Edit Blog Post

Chiang MaiChiang MaiChiang Mai

one of the little cafes we went to....(amazing shakes!)
We arrived in Chiang Mai after a 16 hour train journey. We travelled 750km in 2nd class, air conditioned beds for £18 pp. surprisingly we all slept really well, despite the noises of the train and every time it turned a corner thinking it may derail at any moment!

Chiang Mai felt hotter than Bangkok, but we were pleased to see some sunshine after a week of it being overcast and humid. We stayed in a very basic hostel, where the water ran black! But for one night we managed with brushing our teeth in the shower!

The people we encountered in Chiang Mai all seemed really friendly. We spent a few days exploring and eating!! We found a quirky cafe with a goldfish bowl table, coca cola memrobillia and amazing fruit shakes for 30p!

Chiang Mai is surrounded by a Moat with several different ancient gates to enter the centre from. Despite Chiang Mai being thailands second biggest city, we were staying in an area that felt more like a town. The street was full of hostels, massage shops, travel information shops, cafes and tiny supermarkets.

We went elephant trekking which was incredible! We looked around and made sure we chose a company which was elephant friendly! We fed them bananas and sugar cane; bathed them; learnt how to command them; and rode them bareback through the jungle! It was such an amazing experience! At first it was scary because the elephants were so huge and it was a struggle to balance, but you soon wiggled yourself into a comfortable position! It was unreal.

We went to a few night markets which were fun. We managed to barter well and got some bargains to squeeze into our already overflowing backpacks! We went to a cocktail car!! Which was so fun, I climbed in the back of the truck and was taught how to make cocktails!

To summarise, I loved Chiang Mai! The people are so lovely, really friendly and welcoming. Elephant trekking was definitely the highlight of our trip. We had the most amazingly perfect time!!

Now, we are on another 16 hour train journey to Ayutthaya. (we havent got beds this time..should be interesting!!)


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

The lodgeThe lodge
The lodge

our night of luxury


Tot: 0.052s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0229s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb