Bangkok


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand
February 22nd 2012
Published: February 25th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Tues Feb 21: We were up at 6 to board the bus in the dark on our way to offer alms to the monks. it is optional for Buddhists, but many young men become novice monks for at least 3months (one rice growing season). Some are very young, seven yearrs old. They are dressed in orange shrouds and come down the road towards us from the temple, where they are studYing, to collect food for the temple every morning. Buddhists believe it is extremely important to give in this life in order to ensure happiness in this and the next life. Some people bring food with them from home and others, like us, purchase food from venders beside the road. We are each given a small silver tray with water, rice, sweets on it. When the monks stop we carefully place each item in the bowls the monks carry being careful not to touch them. We form a Y with our hands, bow and then kneel to receive their blessing. This is done by the chanting of ancient verses which we learn they have memorized and will only understand if they go on to study for many years. George has given Jeff a bookmark made to commemorate Ron Braun and he has one monk say a special blessing for us in Ron's memory. It is a special moment as Ron and Linda visited Thailand 30 years ago and would definitely have been with us today had he lived. After the monks reach the end of the road they return to the temple where all the food is pooled with the older monks eating first. Whatever is left is eaten for lunch which is the only other meal of the day. Mornings and afternoons are spent in class. Chores and then to bed with the routine repeated everyday. Quick trip back to the hotel past the old city wall as Chaing Mai comes to life for the day. Jeff tells us every male must spend two years in the military. We pack up and head for the airport.

We are met at the airport by our new guide Mae and Jim. We board a beautiful Destination Asia bus and are off to the tailor! We pick materials from the wonderful silk, decide on suits, jackets, dresses, blouses or pants and have our measurements taken. Then off to the spectacular Royal Orchid Sheraton hotel. We are met in the lobby and taken to the 27th floor lounge to receive a welcome drink and our keys. We have been upgraded to suites which all overlook the Chao Phraya River. We reassemble in the lobby and are taken to the hotel dock where we board a wonderful wooden rice boat for a fabulous meal and entertainment by a violinist and Key (Chinese instrument) player. We float by beautifully lit temples, the Presidential Palace, restaurants and many other boats of all shapes and sizes. We meet Jim's partner Or who is truly lovely. We return to the hotel to find a Thai Beatles band playing. We alI make requests and join in singing while having a final nightcap. The end to yet another unbelievable day!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.04s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0224s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb