Day 15 - Bangkok


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand
September 17th 2010
Published: September 23rd 2010
Edit Blog Post

After an early arrival i had a quick nap and then went out for breakfast at a stall down the road from the hotel. We then all met up at reception and took a river taxi to the Grand Palace. The river taxi is a quick way to get around as it avoids all the traffic in the city.

A tour guide took us around the Grand Palace and showed us where the King's guests stay, where the King's lie in state for 8 months, where the King sits for special occasions, as well as several temples. The Grand Palace was beautiful, some of it was made with 24 carat gold. Our guide was a Thai man and he was hilarious, but very informative. The guild told us that the King no longer lives at the Grand Palace as a mark of respect as his older brother was assassinated here. The King has 7 children and has had 3 wives, only men can become Kings the Queens are their wives.

After this we walked over to the reclining buddha - the worlds largest. It was very gold and very big.

We then went back to the hotel and had a rest before walking down Khao San Road, looking at the shops and the stalls.

At drinks after dinner that evening we met Rowena & Cameron, the two new tour members.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.14s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 6; qc: 43; dbt: 0.077s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb