Third time to Thailand in last 12 months & still love it


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand
June 26th 2009
Published: July 6th 2009
Edit Blog Post

On our last bus ride in Myanmar I was opening a little plastic wrapper with my teeth and my left front tooth broke. Before anyone else asks, no, I haven't a massive calcium shortage that's causing my teeth to break. Yeah, 40 is old but not THAT old thank you very much. My two front teeth were crowns already (unfortunate swimming pool accident when I was 8, nowhere near Christmas) and the last set only lasted a mere 6 years. Seems that there should be a 10 year warranty on such an expensive product! Luckily we were back in Bangkok two days later so I could get it replaced quickly.

We spent two weeks in northern Thailand. Chiang Mai is one of the largest cities in the north of the country, very food focused with an emphasis on health: brown rice, whole grains, organic fruits and veggies, fresh and local ingredients. We visited a few more temples. Ugh! But it was interesting to see that their wood temples are very similar to those in Burma now that we've been there. I took a great cooking course making some of the classics: green papaya salad, pad Thai, green chicken curry, spicy basil and chicken, and massamun curry which is a less spicy curry from southern Thailand. And I've now got at least one cook book fully of yummy recipes to bring to Bali with me. I've jumped on Toby's carb wagon and now look forward to eating rice and noodles every day. If you eat the same thing long enough, you will come to love it. I don't think I'll be forcing myself to eat liver every day though!

Pai is a small and quiet town about two hours north of Chiang Mai. There are a few streets of shops (strange ones that I'll get to in a moment) and restaurants but you're still in the thick of Thai culture. The school band practices on the soccer field and the locals gathered for what I guess was a fundraiser. Maybe they need another temple... NOT! ;-) Back to the shops... you can get your chakras balanced, take Reiki lessons (whatever that is,) be rebirthed (sounds painful,) meditate inside a triangle, and a whole host of other spiritual experiences that would keep a hippie happy for weeks. We skipped the fourth dimension and focused on the food. We had some great
Our favorite cafe in PaiOur favorite cafe in PaiOur favorite cafe in Pai

Great food, low prices, and top notch spot for people watching.
northern Thai food and fantastic falafel pita sandwiches with creamy tahini and a selection of other sauces.

Post Pai, we went way south to the islands of Koh Tao and Ko Samui in the Gulf of Thailand. We did some pretty average diving on Koh Tao then wandered about Ko Samui on a motorbike. Both islands were really green and gorgeous with lovely beaches and bays though Koh Tao is much smaller and more low key which we really like.

P.S. Got a little Cliff Claven for you. In the movie "Meet the Parents" Robert DeNiro pronounced Ko Samui "ko sahm-wee" but it's really supposed to be pronounced "ko sah-moo-ee."


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

I have no idea what they were selling but cute carI have no idea what they were selling but cute car
I have no idea what they were selling but cute car

About a dozen of these little guys drove down a street in Bangkok.
Toby finally gets a hair cut!Toby finally gets a hair cut!
Toby finally gets a hair cut!

Okay, it was more like a 2" trim but we have to be encouraging on this!
Erawan shrine dancersErawan shrine dancers
Erawan shrine dancers

People who win the lottery pay these women to dance at this Hindu shrine as a thank you to the gods.
Castaway impersonatorCastaway impersonator
Castaway impersonator

Toby finally threw out this t-shirt about a week later.
Green & brown coralGreen & brown coral
Green & brown coral

Kinda trippie, huh?
Soft coralSoft coral
Soft coral

Another weird thingee.
Mummified monk on Ko SamuiMummified monk on Ko Samui
Mummified monk on Ko Samui

Must be a fan of The Blues Brothers. Seriously though, doesn't that seem a bit sacrilegious?
Chaweng beachChaweng beach
Chaweng beach

One of the most popular beaches on Ko Samui.
Bullseye butterflyBullseye butterfly
Bullseye butterfly

Must have escaped from a Target commercial.
nice set of whale bonesnice set of whale bones
nice set of whale bones

This is at a hilltop cafe with a view of the brilliant blue Gulf of Thailand.
Rat tailed lizardRat tailed lizard
Rat tailed lizard

The tail doesn't go with the body, huh?
Nice Buddha in a Thai harborNice Buddha in a Thai harbor
Nice Buddha in a Thai harbor

We took a ferry from Ko Samui to the Thai mainland. As we were docking I found this Buddha and flag mast rather attractive.


6th July 2009

Whatz Up
Hi guys, love getting my updates on your adventures. I've missed that little piece of info on when you will be coming back. Did you decide to stay on for another year?
6th July 2009

Glad to hear from you two tree dwellers!
Great to hear from you guys. We were just talking last week and again last night at the Pudwill's about how we had not heard a peep for a while. The rat tailed lizard is a weird one. Love the coverage and additional pics. Looking forward to drawing on your Asian culinary expertise. Please take care of yourselves and watch out for North Korean scuds they could end up anywhere!
6th July 2009

Thai Cooking Lessons
Yum! All the eating of that wonderful food - sounds like my kind of place! That is so cool that you took cooking lessons!!! I would love to do something like that! And as for meditating in a triangle - what's wrong with circles? Or parallelograms? Geez! :) Thanks, as always, for sharing!
6th July 2009

food
Your making me hungry with this post. Can't wait to try your new recipies. Sherri has been making these awesome vietnamese veggie and chicken rolls with the clear wrap and peanut sauce. Hey, in case you haven't heard last week was a bad week for celebraties. Farrah passed away, as did Ed McMahon, Michael Jackson, Billie Mays, and Steve McNair (was shot). Your probably better off touring the world, but I think people in the states actually kinda miss you guys :).
6th July 2009

Another set of weeks in paradise?
Love your continual travel log of adventures in the Far East - now we know what places to visit and ones to skip thanks to your awesome travel summaries of each country/island. Cheers to when you come home...is that soon? Happy travels, Dawn
6th July 2009

Thingus
I loved the photo of that rare specimen Anotherus Weirdium Thingus! It took me forever to find a reference to it in my copy of "Rare Fauna Almanac of the Unexplored" Very cool
14th July 2009

What Up!
Been reading the blog for a year and thought I might write at least once. It is always great hearing from you and learning of your adventures. I thought you were returning in June but your mother says plans have changed a little. Write and update us on your new plans. Later Bruce W.
6th August 2009

looks cool I have been been telling all my thai friends here in wichita about your travels. Believe it or not but I have several thai friends here

Tot: 0.615s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 12; qc: 65; dbt: 0.0853s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.2mb