The End of an Era Part 2


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand
January 24th 2006
Published: January 24th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Ton Sai Ton Sai Ton Sai

From ton Sai Beach, Krabi, Thailand
I left the UK in a flurry of snow and gossip magazines, and arrived back in Bangkok to see Sarah's strangely-coloured head poking out above the crowds in the airports arrival hall.
The transition back to life in Asia went altogether much more easily than when I had returned back to the real world after being away a year. Asia does often feel like a dreamworld of sorts, unfortunately it is also seen this way by thousands of businesses looking for a piece of the cake, and then the humble normal people, like you or me, who just want to see something a little bit different, and well, we're not let down on that, in fact it's an excellent eye-opener, but sometimes it's a bit of a shame that thousands of other people have had the exact same desire to see a bit more of the noble place they live, little old planet Earth. It does make you wonder about the possibility of space travel, at least you'd be sure to get some real isolation. You'd beat the tourists thats for sure.
Always something to think about.

New Years Eve went down a storm, Nick and Hans, Sarah and me,
Thai dreamsThai dreamsThai dreams

My home, for now at least
drinking buckets in the street in Bangkok, well Khao San road area, it was a thoroughly enjoyable evening, even bleeding all over 7/11s floor, I got a free drink out of it.
The few days spent in the Kok at the beginning of 2006 were the beginnings for me, of the end of something. Goodbyes were bid and Sarah flew back to where i had just come from, sort of, well actually, Germany, I say in disdain, but thats ok, Sarah's heading to South End around abouts tomorrow, so I believe.

Nick and I hopped on a train south, to the delightful sounding Chumporn. Where we were delighted to bump into Colton and Rob. A small reunion ensued which involved nasty cheap Thai whiskey, a very big hallway and a camera, and that obligatory joint. A need to climb and be on the beach was quite pressing so we headed to the beach to climb. In Ton Sai, Krabi. And my, isn't it pretty. Especially when it's not raining. Clear, turquoise waters lap onto idyllic little bays, and it's all studded with some of the most impressive limestone peaks. Coral is home to abundant shoals of colourful fish. Stilted
Monkey say Monkey doMonkey say Monkey doMonkey say Monkey do

the marvellous monkey jane
bungalows up in the jungle are home. I'm working on getting stronger so climbing more than I ever have previously. It's the perfect antidote to the few days in the drear at home, and to the parting of Nick and then Rob, the last of the Yangshuo family. And- I discover news that my beloved pup the Dude, has been eaten. I'm telling you, never trust the chinese with animals. They will eat them, every last bit.

The time had come, it's arrival was imminent. It's one of, well maybe the only- great tragedy of travel. For me at least. But as they say 'with every closed door, a window opens'. The future is an exciting Aladdins cave of ideas and possibilities...





Advertisement



25th January 2006

keep up the good work, both the blogging and the climbing. love hearing about your adventures even if i must admit that it makes me feel both jealous and homesick.. am missing you all loads, all love
25th January 2006

great
great.

Tot: 0.442s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0365s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb