I'm Safe!


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand
March 16th 2007
Published: March 16th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Hey all - just realised, I ended that message on a bit of a worrying note. I'm fine - we had no problems, predictably, and so after a 9h coach journey we ended up in Krabi, on the West coast of Thiland's south. Stayed in the city for the night (we turned up at half 2 in the moening, so didn't have much choice), and then went to one of the nearby beach resort places, called Railay beach. This was another amaizing place - white beaches surrounded by limestone cliffs.

According to lots of people we talked to, the area is good for climbing, so we thought we'd give it a go. I havn't done any climbing since I was a Kid, and never on a real rockface, and neither had Ro. Got it booked - a half day, lasting about 4 hours.

It was great fun - i'm writing this 3 days afterwards, and my forarms still havn't recovered, however. Anyway, we were being taught by 2 Thai lads, who were both good guys - one was a DJ at a local bar, and one did Fireshows at another bar (a fireshow being when someone takes Poi - weights on the end of a chain - or a staff, and soaks them in petrol, sets fire to them, and then swings them about. They wouldn't let me have a go either.)

Anyway, did about 5 climbs, each harder and longer than the last, and were both thoroughly knackered by the end of it all. But well worth it - we're going to do some more in the near future, as and when we find it.

That night, we had a bucket - one of Thailands legendary drinks, consisting of a bucket, filled with a bottle of rum, coke and redbull concentrate. Lethal, although they did wake us up a bit. Crawled into bed after too many of these, and a few Chang beers. Awoke with a Chang-over. Felt very sorry for ourselves. Went to the beach, had BBQ'd chicken (from a food boat on the beach - genius!), and generally recovered our strength. Next day, we got a boat to Phi Phi island.

Phi Phi is one of those places that oviously used to be amazing - it's still dead nice, but since the tourists, and the Tsunami hit, its a little less lovely. Nevertheless, the beaches are great. Going to spent the rest of the day, and tomorrow morning here, and then head up to Bangkok by boat/coach tomorrow afternoon and night (about 15h of travel, in all. And I've finished my book...). Going to spend a week of so in and around Bangkok, and then head back south, to Ko Tao, then to Ko Pha Ngan for the full moon party.

Right, sorry again for lack of Photos - would have been on this time but the bloke has run out of CD's, so couldn't get them on the web. Next time, for sure!

As always, hope everthing is OK back home with everyone!

Simon.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



21st March 2007

Hi Simon good to see your having fun, you are missed at work. Look forward to more places and pics

Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 16; qc: 59; dbt: 0.0614s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb