Day 23: DAD WE'RE ALIVE STOP WORRYING


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand
September 30th 2018
Published: September 30th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Hiya Dad. Still here.



For the rest of you who are not aware, my dad has been vintagely overworrying about this part of the trip since he heard about it. Koh Tao, besides being a picturesque small island in the gulf of Thailand, also hits the headlines for backpackers going missing and mysteriously dying under controversial circumstances.



We were off the train at 5am and at Chumphon platform where we were directed to our transfer to the catamaran. This journey itself only took a couple of hours and then we arrived at the port, where we were greeted by 9,000 people waving cardboard with taxi fares. We dodged out of this walk of shame, getting to a restaurant and having breakfast and a fruit shake. Using the w-fi we concluded that we were only a mile from the hotel, lotus paradise on Sairee Beach, so opted to walk it. The backpack on my still sunburnt shoulders was less than pleasant, but it was only 20 minutes before we arrived at the hotel. Upon arrival we were told we were still an hour early but could relax by the beachside pool until 11am. Once we were in the room Meg opted for a nap whilst I procrastinated from writing this blog. We then went to lunch at the hotel’s restaurant on the beach, having a beef burger (first one since we’ve been here, the rest have all been chicken. 7.5/10). After a discussion on what we should do with our afternoon, and a walk up and down the beach, we decided to have a go at some paddle boarding. You all know what that is, I’m not going to insult people by explaining it. I’d never done this before and spent the first 15 minutes of the hour learning to stand up, and inevitably taking a dip in the water shortly after leaving the comfort of the kneeling position. We then went into deeper water to see the rocks at the beaches end and saw a few hundred crabs escaping the sea by hiding on the rocks, until we came and blew their cover, forcing them to scatter and shoot further away from the sea.



After this we had a relax in the water, before deciding it was dinner time. We went to a restaurant a bit further down the beach and had enchiladas and Fajitas (6/10. Bit weird) We walked back along the beach to our hotel’s bar, where we watched the firedancers on the beach for a short while, before calling it a night. It was a long day after all, and tomorrow was going to involve a lot of exercise.



Steps: 17,657



Dangerous situations: 0 (STOP WORRYING DAD)

Advertisement



Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 8; qc: 42; dbt: 0.0304s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb