Krabi + Ko Phi Phi


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand
December 1st 2008
Published: June 13th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Beautiful beaches and testing travels


Finally getting into Krabi after the previously mentioned uncomfortable sleeper coach we organised our hostel and transport to and from the island of Ko Phi Phi for the following day. Carrying on our effort of trying new foods, especially fish Paul ended up trying a nice crab dish, with the irony of eating crab in Krabi completely lost on him until much later in the evening. (Bless).

We hired a hog for the day and after a shaky start (driving off down the wrong side of the road as the lady who rent us the bike shouted after us and we turned around and thought she was wavig at us) we ended up visiting a nearby beach resort which, although expensive, was well worth the trip just to have an afternoon by the beach. We eventually drove back through the hilly forest back to Krabi to explore the town before heading off the following day to Ko Phi Phi.

Tropical paradise, at a price



A short boat journey later the following morning and were on the dramatic island of Ko Phi Phi, well knows as having one of the most beautiful beaches in the World, which although completely stunning and breathtaking, took a bit of getting used to due to the sheer volume of tourists on the island (pot calling the kettle black slightly we know).

Once into the swing of things we found the hustle and bustle of the busy lanes and alleyways fairly easy-going and again though expensive, was a fantastic place to visit, with a myriad of bars, restaurants, cafes and shops. Although we couldn't afford to do any of teh attractive looking daytrips on offer to some of the quieter neighbouring islands we were quite happy just sunning ourselves on the main beach for both days we were there and enjoying the warm sea. On our final night on the island we enjoyed a evening consuming copious amounts of free alcohol (we found a loophole in one bars promotion put it that way) and enjoyed a night of sitting by the beach heckling the white kids trying badly to show off at fire poi before the locals took over and showed them how it was done.

So it was with great regret and hangover that we began the next day, after hearing a girl in the next room violently vomiting which was close to pushing both of us over the edge we eventually headed off to the beach via a fry up and fresh banana smoothie for some final sunbathing before getting the boat back to Krabi. That night we again explored the night markets and the excellent selection of cheap food stalls for some great Thai food before heading off on an epicly awful journey to the other side of the peninsula.


Additional photos below
Photos: 26, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Start of a night outStart of a night out
Start of a night out

Before free booze
Upside-down fire poiUpside-down fire poi
Upside-down fire poi

Health and Safety issues
Recipe for disasterRecipe for disaster
Recipe for disaster

Can't just drink one at a time, has to be clever


Tot: 0.125s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 8; qc: 42; dbt: 0.0545s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb