Food of Thailand


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand
August 30th 2008
Published: August 30th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Pig's HeadPig's HeadPig's Head

Chumpon Market
Just thought that you might all enjoy a few pictures of the foods that we have been eating. In Thailand, food is often served almost more like a work of art and the Thais definitely love to eat. We were also told that "if it moves, we eat it!"

We went to a large market in Chumpon and saw an assortment of interesting things to eat. I have to admit that it was a bit overwhelming for a westerner like me to see whole pig's heads on display though! A lot of sights and smells that I am not used to seeing in my local supermarket.

There is such a wide variety of fruits that we have never heard of and even mini bananas about half the size of what we are used to. We are both especially fond of the sweet fried doughnuts, fried morning glory, and my favorite, cashew chicken! Awe has been a huge help in ordering for us everywhere we go that we have gotten a bit spoiled.

Also had some great foods at the home stays we visited along the Andaman Sea. Had fresh local crabs caught earlier in the day and Jarod
An Assortment An Assortment An Assortment

Chumpon Market
tried things like raw horseshoe crab eggs, raw oysters, and leaves along the trail. At one meal, the hosts of the house we ate lunch at were so excited that we were trying all the food that they were shouting. "The farangs are eating it! The farangs are eating it!"

We are loving the Thai food, but I am still having a hard time with the typical breakfast of watered down rice mixed with pork and liver. While there are loads of Seven-Elevens, you know that you are in Thailand when the Lays potato chip choices are cuttlefish or chili paste flavored!

Overall the food is excellent, but one thing that I can't find that is occupying many of my daydreams is Mexican food. So if you are in Texas, have an enchilada for me!

Heather



Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Huge MarketHuge Market
Huge Market

Chumpon Market
Dried SeafoodDried Seafood
Dried Seafood

Chumpon Market
Horseshoe Crab EggsHorseshoe Crab Eggs
Horseshoe Crab Eggs

Andaman Coast
Raw OystersRaw Oysters
Raw Oysters

Andaman Coast


1st September 2008

YUM-O!
Such interesting food choices! Anthony Bourdain would be proud!! I ate FOUR of Grandma's Enchiladas for you!! Miss ya, Love ya, Mean it, Alex!

Tot: 0.045s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0252s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb