Floating Wishes...Loi Krathong Festival


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Takua Pa
November 23rd 2007
Published: November 27th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Quoting “Lonely Planet”, "On the proper full moon night in November, small lotus shaped baskets or boats made of banana leaves containing flowers, incense, candles and a coin are floated on Thai rivers, lakes and canals. "

The history according to the Tourism Authority of Thailand:
"Legend has it that in Sukothai, the city located halfway between Bangkok and the northern city of Chiangmai, the maiden known as Nopoman, shaped the very first krathong and presented it to her king, some 800 years ago. And it's been an annual festival ever since. Although the original meaning of the celebration has been obscured by time, people have developed their own personal significance for the holiday.”

Because Thailand is primarily an agricultural country relying heavily on rainfall and the waterways Loi Krathong offers the Thai people an annual chance to offer thanks to the waterways for an abundant harvest, for a life of riches, and for a healthy year.
For us Loi Krathong means late nights of dancing, amazing eats, especially small corn and coconut custards wrapped in banana leaf and a very, very large project mess.

The children from the village joined us for the Krathong making day Saturday (the proper full moon night) and we sacrificed a few banana trees for both their trunks to make the floating base of the krathong and their leaves.

How to make a Krathong:

Step 1. First, I am told that you must select your base…for us it was easy, we are revamping the washing area completely and needed to remove a three year old banana tree that was in the middle. Out came the tree, roots and all.

Three trunks can be a bit too large to handle as most banana trunks grow similar to a palm tree base (same family I think…Jackie, is “banana tree” in your encyclopedia of all things green and growing?) 

The first picture shows how we tackled the trunks to chop them into small two inch disks….

Step 2. Is simply to dry or drain the banana tree disks. They hold an incredible amount of water. The structure is like a large firm sponge that grown in a swirly pattern similar to a snail shell. Once dried, the disks can be worked with. Part of this step is to prepare the banana leaves as well. Pulling the leaves off the central stem and splitting them into strips is the start of the process. (picture 2)

Step 3. This is where the creative process begins. The first step was to prepare the disk by covering it with tidy pices of leave. (see picture 3.) Then, energized by copious amounts of Coca Cola, we all flexed our brains to imagine what shapes we could make out of the banana leaves. A few of the kids had obviously done this before and came up with beautiful ideas! After the shapes are made they are attached to the base with small finishing nails. (pictures 4a,b,c)

Step 4. Your base might look something like Miles’ example (picture 5) or Jhang’s example (picture 6). From here we start to add color! By carefully pinning a selection of traditional flowers including orchids and carnations (the King’s flower) among others, and colored pins, leaves of various plants and creative extras, the Krathongs fill out beautifully. (pictures 7a, 7b). Miles has a really nice example! (picture 8)
The last step is to show off your beautiful Krathongs!

The evening brings the ceremony of Krathong floating. Because we had all the small kids along with a Krathong each, we managed to go ahead of the formal ceremony so as not to lose a kid or two into the fast flowing river.

The night went on until well past midnight for some of us as the girls dance competition went on late. I drove some of the kids home on the motorcycle and plopped them into makeshift beds in my front room. I love the tangle of little sleeping bodies!

Today is the clean up day….



Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

Decorative ideasDecorative ideas
Decorative ideas

using colored pin heads to accent the leaves


8th December 2007

These "krathong" are so very beautiful and so is the story, so are the kids especially Marrin and Miles.

Tot: 0.234s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0699s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb