Day 22: Railay beach and it's limestone caves


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Railay
December 31st 2012
Published: January 8th 2013
Edit Blog Post

So today was a designated beach day at one of the most beautiful beaches in Thailand - Railay. However we awoke to rain again 😞 We decided still to go see the beach, and glad we did, as the sun came out around 12pm and despite a mad rush for the sun cream both of us got burnt. Railay is famous for its rock climbing on the limestone cliffs, and we watched some dare devils walk along a tight rope at the top. The beach was busy with tourists, but the long tail boat from Ao Nang was enjoyable as we got to see the limestone cliffs up-close. We also did the short walk across to Railay East beach - but there wasn't much to see except a few dirty cafe's and a very messy shoreline, most of which was mangroves rather than beach. Railay West was a much better choice, with perfect white sand and clear blue 'swimming' sea. An east and west divide - some might say similar to that of Didsbury (ha!). The highlight of my day was when James realised all of his shorts were at the laundry and he had to wear a pair of mine - after walking 15 minutes to the beach, his pride was destroyed and the whole town was laughing at him!

New Year's Eve, bringing in 2013 (or 2556 for the Thai calendar) was celebrated with a final Thai banquet (soup, curry.. the works!) and some local alcoholic beverages. Fireworks were let off at 12 at the beach - we watched from afar as we had returned to the hostel to ensure we had a good nights sleep ready for our early flight.

Bailey's bit:

I'm hoping I will be able to live down the shorts incident but the less said aubout that the better. Railay beach was good to sun bathe but the cliffs look amazing for climbing, would loved to have a go but maybe next time. Hopefully get me back into indoor climbing upon my return.

Daily mileage: 4 down to the beach where there were plenty of others enjoying the firm early morning sand and warm sun!


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0572s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb