Back To Thailand


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Phuket
November 10th 2011
Published: January 19th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

KL to Phuket & Krabi


After another long 13 hour bus journey, we arrived in Phuket!

The journey ended in Phuket town, the main town on the island. This turned out to be nowhere near where we were staying! The driver of the minibus we were on offered to take us to Patong beach, where we were staying, for a small fee. So off we headed, still in the bus, over the centre of the island up and down the hills before being dropped off at the main hub of the beach town.

Wow, it was like being dropped off in the centre of a Mediterranean party island! Flashing lights, clubs, pubs, shops, and many drunk people!

We finally got to our hostel, Cheap Charlie's Backpackers Hostel! Cheap defiantly summed this place up! In our room were damp patches and a dodgy air con unit! At least the bed was comfy!

The following day, as we had done before in Thailand, we hired a moped to get it of Patong beach and explore the island. Phuket is a MASSIVE island, we didn't get anywhere near around it!

Many tourists flock here to see the beaches, night life and tours to the local islands near by.

There are two main island tours that are run from here, one to Phi Phi, the island where the film 'The Beach' was shot and the other to James Bond island where 'The Man With The Golden Gun' was filmed. Both of these tours were extremely expensive! I guess it's the local tour guides preying on the tourists!

So that ended our plans to head over to the pristine beaches of Phi Phi and the tour around the James Bond Island.

After five days of relaxing, we headed to Krabi. We booked a small guesthouse in Krabi Town. Krabi was much more relaxed than Phuket. The guesthouse was new and the owners were extremely accommodating. When they were cooking their dinner, they would offer some out, other than the seafood dishes, the rest of the food was actually quite nice! On occasions, it did blow my head off, but that's Thai food!

We stayed in Krabi for four nights. In this time we got to spend time walking around the town and take in the local market along a bit of town living for the local people. As we were away from the tourist traps, we found Krabi to be a welcome change.

We stayed over a weekend and on the Friday night we ventured out for dinner to find a large bustling market full of stands selling everything from food to jewellery! One of the stalls even sold fried insects!!! The strange thing about this market was the large stage in the middle of the market that all the stalls were located around. It turns out, the Thai's love their karaoke! There were lines of people waiting to get up on stage and sing to the crowds eating their dinners! We walked back to our guesthouse around 10pm and the karaoke didn't stop until around 1am!

The last day we were in Krabi, we walked around to find...another market! This time, along a long straight road. We had seen it all before and we not too fussed about what was there. Two things caught our eyes that day, firstly the market stall selling fried insects, yum! Nd secondly the collection of 50 supercars where the road had been blocked off! Although both of us had seen Ferraris and Lamborghinis before it was a first for us to see a Paghanni Zonda! It was beautiful and any car person will know how expensive it is! It was by far the most amazing car in the collection. The rear wheel was 3/4 the heir of Charlie's leg!



Too much excitement was followed by the looooong bus journey back to KL.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0385s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb