Phuket - Kata Beach


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Phuket
February 6th 2009
Published: February 6th 2009
Edit Blog Post

We arrived in Phuket by Boat and ferry, we checked into a place recommended in Lonely Planet... Kata On Sea... but it was awful, so we hired a moped and drove around to find a place for the rest of our stay in Phuket.. we found a nice sweddish place called Tony & Eak was very well priced for the quality would highly recommend.

on our 2nd day with the big we decided to tour the beachs and headed North, we arrived at a place called Karon beach and that was busy, bit to busy and touristy for our liking, we headed further north to Patong and it was horrendous... package holiday district, buzzing bars and busy streets... we quickly dexcovered that Kata was the best place and glad we had chose that as our base in Phuket.

Whilst here we visited the aquarium, that was time well spent but not too spectacular, some nice colourful pictures though. We also visited some view points for pictures and saw the most amazing sunset, we have seen a few but this was the best so far.

as we didnt really do too much here other than sunbathe etc, I will
SunsetSunsetSunset

see I said it was amazing
use this opportunity to fill you in on some general information from our stay so far...

Its funny how whilst we strive to be tanned the Thai girls do the opposite, they cover themselves with whitening lotion and put talc on their faces for a pale complexion, which apparently is more desirable out here, good job we got tans now then hey lol.

Some budget information...

From what we have been told the money does not go as far as it did even only 6 months ago..

In Southern Thailand and the Southern Islands a food room you expect to pay 800 baht and over 1000 if you want aircon, hot water and a TV, you can get them for as little as 700 but these are not nice, usually wooden huts thats smell damp and are fairly dirty. All guest houses let you view rooms before you book so thats good, its always an idea to view 3 or 4 to get an idea of what you can get in each area you visit.

The most expensive place visited so far was Phi Phi we spent 2 weeks budget in 6 days ooops!
Do I look Brown Yet?Do I look Brown Yet?Do I look Brown Yet?

just done my washing lol

The cheapest abnd actually one of our favourites was Koh Tao and the Tropicana Hotel.

Local food drink, local beer Chang is ok and costs 50 baht for a small (half pint) that 1 pound, a large is 70 baht. you can each Thai rice and noddles from 45 -120 baht so for 90p you can get a meal so food is eral cheap. you can each really well including western food for around 700 baht so 14 pund which is excellent and thats with a drink.

We set our daily budget at 2000 baht a day 40 pound, and this has to cover accomodation, food, travel and drink, its hard but achievable. You can hire a moped for 250 baht a day which saves on buses and taxis.

Authentic Thai assage is 20 baht for an hour thats 4 pounds and they aer great, suncream is a tenner a bottle and we using a lot to thats expensive..

we are already 2 weeks over budget with a while to0 go but we hope heading north will save money as we hear its much cheaper there.

I think to enjoy yourself fully with no worries you need 4000 baht a day.

Next stop Kanchanaburi to see the Death Railway and the Bridge over the River Kwai xx


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

BeachesBeaches
Beaches

the beac hes are stunning


Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0402s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb