Slowing down but not stopping... for now anyway!


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Phuket
November 17th 2007
Published: November 17th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Becoming Beach-combers!



We have arrived in Thailand's tourist capital of Phuket. We are so relieved to be able to put our feet up on a beautiful beach and relax! We have been here for the past two days now and are enjoying the modern malls, crazy bars and restaurants and as you will see... the cuisine!

It a lot more relaxed here during the daytime, no-one hollering at you infact the only heckle we seem to get are from taxi drivers! And then nightfalls and the madness begins...gogo bars appear out of know where and scantily clad (what we assume to be) girls start beckoning passer-bys indside for cheap drinks and no doubt cheaper woman!
We have also spotted out fair share of Thailands 'lady-boys' and believe us when we say that they are about as subtle as a brick!

Friday we decided to bite the bullet and join the club - we hired a scooter! A very random conversation with an even more random Italian man, and Craig was the proud owner of a set of keys and a very fetching helmet...a quick trip around the block and he returned to pick up Gemma, and then we
Beautiful.Beautiful.Beautiful.

Sunset on Karon Beach
we're off. We somehow managed to get pulled over by every policeman in town, demanding to see a drivers licence, after the briefest glance we were waved safetly on our way - bizarre.
Karon Beach was our choice of destination, 5kms from where we were staying at Patong Beach. A much quiter beach but bigger waves so Craig hired a body board after barganing with a very stroppy and high-pitched Thai woman! We watched the sunset before heading back home for dinner and an early night as we had a busy day ahead...

Cooking at Pums!!
What an awesome morning we have had, not to mention and extremely filling! We arrived at Pums Restaurant just before 11am and were shown to a table to choose our dishes and given aprons. Craig choose Satay Chicken, Green Thai Curry, and his favourite - Phad Thai, Gemma plumped for Spicy Coconut Soup, Sweet Chili Chicken and Sexy Mango (Mango and Sweet Sticky Rice).
The class was amazing! We were lucky enough to have the class to ourselves, it began with introducing us to the different herbs, spices and vegetables used in Thai cooking, before heading off into the restaurants kitchen (open plan and very much on view of the customers who were slowly drifting in!) The best technique we learnt had to be how to 'massage' the meat whilst cooking - priceless!
The first two dishes we cooked up were incredible, but the best bit was yet to come, we got to eat the efforts of our labour! Then it was back into the kitchen for another stint before tucking in again, by now our bellies were getting a bit full! Whilst having a breather and letting dinner go down, we were joined by the owner and author of the world published books, Pum - she was hilarious, and obsessed with Jackass Penguins for reasons neither of us could fanthom!! Nevertheless, we had a lovely chat with her, she not only has tonnes of ambition, but is well travelled and eager to share the simplicity of Thai cooking with the world.
Back in the kitchen it was time to finish off - Phad Thai and Sexy Mango, and they were as delicious as we had hoped, and we left the restaurant with our certificates and the fullest we had been since entering Asia!

Just a short entry this time, but their
Hardcore BikingHardcore BikingHardcore Biking

You've heard how the locals drive, so we took our lives into our own hands!
will be more to come...



Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Green Curry PasteGreen Curry Paste
Green Curry Paste

Including twenty, yes, twenty green chillis!!


Tot: 0.109s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0489s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb