Hongs By Starlight, Swimming in the rain & A night at Rock City!


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Phuket
December 28th 2006
Published: December 29th 2006
Edit Blog Post

See I told you another blog was just around the corner! The last one took 2 hours to do though so I am going to have to try be a bit quicker this time.... I think Heath is asleep in the room or something as he hasnt yet come down to question what is taking me so long! :-)


Hongs By Starlight



On the 27th we were booked in to do the John Gray "Hongs by Starlight" Canoe trip in Phang-Nga Bay... We were told this was the most environmentally friendly and professional canoeing trip and while it was quite expensive compared to other trips it was worth absolutely every last baht!

We were lucky enough to be booked in the same day as Carolynn and Tony and also Pat and Alison... When the minibus turned up to pick us up at 12pm Pat and Alison were on our bus and looking quite green (having been out late the night before!!) Silly kids!! Luckily I had a whole pack of seasick tablets for everyone to bond over!

The difference with this canoeing trip is that we head out around lunch time and so are arriving at the Hongs around the same time all the other canoe tour operators and packing up and leaving... thus having the Hongs to ourselves... We also go into one of the Hongs after the sun has gone down and it really is a magical experience!

Soon after the boat set off lunch was served and the food was superb... Carolynn, Tony, Heath and I were sitting up the front of the boat (everyone else was at the back so it was really really nice).... Carolynn and I sent the boys back for 2nds so we didnt look like pigs! :-)

During the afternoon we were taken to 4 different Hongs.... Hongs are these gorgeous lagoons in the middle of the limestone karsts / islands that you can only access when the tide is low.... you go through little cave openings in the canoes and at some points you have to lie flat to squeeze through the openings.... there are two people + a guide to each canoe..

At the first Hong you could see the tidal change as coming back out it was a much tighter squeeze.... I thought I would of been a bit freaked out by it all but the places you see are so breathtaking and the time laying down to squeeze through the caves is very short....

One of the caves you go through is called Bat Cave... it is the longest cave you go through on the day and if you light the roof with a torch you can see hundreds of bats all hanging from the ceiling asleep! The smell was pretty gross but worth it in the end.... It is so hard to describe the Hongs, it is something that you really have to experience and see for yourself but it was so beautiful.... when in the Hongs you are asked to speak in a whisper so not to disturb the wildlife living in there!

Just before sunset we were given free time to swim or canoe by ourselves... We set out with Carolynn and Tony to canoe to a little beach in the distance.... the boys with the paddles of course!! When we got to the little beach Heath promptly decided that was the time to go to the toilet... I swear I cannot take the boy anywhere! After the private beach 'toilet stop' we headed back to the boat where the boys did a couple of 'bombs' from the top of the boat into the water.... Once free time was up we were taken to another spot where we were to get ready to go into a Hong after sunset. We were served coffee and the yummiest banana cakes on the way...

At sunset we sat down with our guides and made 'Loy Kratongs' which are floating flowers, incence and candles which you light in the Hong and float on the water.... You hold the Kratong together make a wish then float it away... Very sweet Thai custom! I think they said it is to get rid of any bad luck for the following year.... I hope it works for me! :-) It was at this point when everyone was getting their photos taken with their kratongs that Heath decided to let go of the biggest fart in front of the other 50 people! (There is a theme here isnt there?!?!)

The Hong was really magical of a night... if you put your hand in the water you could see a luminescence (I know that is spelt wrong!) in the water... a glow almost like fireflys... It started to rain just before we went into the Hongs and it was really quite nice being in the canoe with all the floating kratongs lit and having a light rain fall on you!

After the last Hong we jumped on board, got into some dry clothes and headed back to the mainland. On the way we were fed the most gorgeous buffet of seafood, chicken and vegetable dishes! The food was really superb! We got back to our hotel around 9pm and jumped in bed.... We were so exhausted from such a wonderful day.... I havent described it very well but I can honestly say it was a magical day that was professionally run.... we had a ball!

The Shopping Blues



On the 28th we were lucky enough to be invited by Carolynn and Tony to join them at Merlin Beach Resort for the afternoon. We first went to the Patong OTop Markets for some quick shopping. There is a pair of Billabong shorts that Trent really wants that I wanted to get him. I had got the guy down to 500 baht for the one pair last week but walked as I still thought that was paying too much (although these ones were definately a better material and quality than most that are for sale here ). I wanted to go back with Heath as I thought I may get a better price buying more than one pair.... how silly was i?!

Me: How much for the 3 pairs?
Rude Salesman: 2200 baht
Me: *laughing* no no 700 baht
Rude Salesman: 1600 baht
Me: *laughing* 900 baht
Rude Salesman: no no way too cheap good quality 1600 no cheaper
Me: mate you offered me one pair for 500 baht the other day now you want me to pay 1600 for 3?! how does that work?
Rude Salesman: no you not come here different shop
Me: no no it was this shop you are the only one with these boardshorts it was definatley you
Rude Saleman *picks up the boardshorts and walks off on me*

I am serious! He walked off on me! AND yes I was being nice and polite the whole time! The dick knew I wanted those exact shorts and was calling my bluff

Me: fine see ya later

We then went to
Downpour at Merlin Beach!Downpour at Merlin Beach!Downpour at Merlin Beach!

I decided to wait it out while Heath decided to swim in it!
another shop that has the good quality shorts and unfortunately they didnt have the ones Trent wanted. We ended up getting 3 for Heath for 1200 baht. I am still today not impressed by the rude little salesman!

After that we bought 13 dvds, 3 tshirts for Heath and 2 tops for myself and paid 1500 baht all up.... the guy we bought them off bartered hard and looked really unhappy when we walked off! I kind of felt bad but we didnt rip him off... he had sold me DVDs for 50 baht the other day and wouldnt budge past 60 on these ones... we paid 150 baht for the mens tshirts but he was trying to sell me the adidas gym tops for myself at 200 baht... that would of been fine if it was the lycra material we get in Oz but it was cheap shit material and I wasnt that desperate for them! In the end they cost 165 baht each (still too much) but oh well!

Lazing at Merlin Beach



We headed up to Merlin Beach with headaches from the bartering... and found Carolynn and Tony with reserved sunbeds for
Downpour at Merlin Beach!Downpour at Merlin Beach!Downpour at Merlin Beach!

The rain was awesome to watch...
us! Sweet!!! We swam around, had a couple of drinks at the swimup bar and did a bit of sunbaking. Around 2.30 we met with Lesley and Terry (more TripAdvisor forum members from Adelaide) who had just arrived the day before and were staying at Merlin Beach too. Lesley and Terry are here celebrating their 25th wedding anniversary. All 6 of us headed up to the little restaurant on the hill near Merlin and had a feast... It was nice to catch up with some fellow Adelaidians, however Heath was up to his usual tricks and proceeded to tell Lesley a totally stupid fart story! It was one of those embarrassing moments again! He is obsessed!!!

Just as we were finishing lunch a torrential downpour came from nowhere! We realised that our bags and everything were still down at the pool so while I sorted the bill with Lesley and Terry the others ran down to rescue our stuff. Luckily before they got there the staff had wrapped everything in towels and put it under the rubber mats on our chairs so it wasnt too bad. The rain was so bad that we decided to stay up there and
The boys relaxing at the swimup bar!The boys relaxing at the swimup bar!The boys relaxing at the swimup bar!

all that was missing for Heath was a fat cigar! :-)
have another round of beers. Heath, Tony and Carolynn took the time to go swimming in the rain... they said it was awesome... Heath even put it up there as one of the best moments of his trip so far... unfortunately I missed out but I was happy with my beer and the company of Lesley and Terry! :-)

When we got back down to the resort (once the rain stopped) everything was flooded... Heath and I had another quick swim then headed home to get ready for Sarah and Pauls last night in Thailand.

Sarah and Pauls Last Night - Rock City!



We met Sarah and Paul at a recommended restaurant - Sweets. The food was gorgeous, the alcohol cheap and the company even better.... During dinner we were bombarded with people selling trinkets and I wont say too much but I bought some very cool little gifts for people back home (some of you are getting way too spoilt!!!).

After dinner we got a Tuk Tuk to a pub called Rock City which has live bands playing heavier music every night (AC/DC, Bon Jovi, Metallica etc). It was kind of my treat to Heath as I knew it would be a place he would really dig! The venue was great and the bands playing were pretty good! Some were even fantastic! They did alot of old school stuff like Bon Jovi, Whitesnake, Metallica, Iron Maiden etc. There was a girl walking around in a Doctors coat with Shots in a Syringe.... Heath had 4! I decided to have a quiet night again as my hangover really was hell the other day! The drinks were pretty expensive in comparision to other places but they also werent watered down... we drank Capriosas all night (vodka, mint, sugar, lime).

We finished up at 2am and caught a tuk tuk back to Karon Beach dropping Sarah and Paul at their hotel on the way. It was an emotional goodbye for all of us (with Sarah getting teary!) .. we really really enjoyed their company and were all sad to say goodbye... even Heath was a little emotional... They gave us a lovely bottle of Champagne before we left them and made us promise to toast them on New Years... dont worry guys we definately will while we miss you! :-(

And that brings us up to date! I havent gone into alot of detail as so much has happened and I will be here all day! We have ferry tickets tomorrow to head to Ko Lanta... we are leaving early as we have a stopover in Phi Phi Island for around 3-4 hours where we want to have a look around and visit the Tsunami memorial. Not sure if I will get a blog in before the New Year.... If I dont have a great New Years Eve everyone... we will be thinking of you all at midnight and wishing you all the love and happiness for the new year!

Speak to you soon!
Love Marita & Heath xxxxx


Additional photos below
Photos: 39, Displayed: 30


Advertisement

Rock City!Rock City!
Rock City!

Having a ball!!!
Hongs by Starlight TripHongs by Starlight Trip
Hongs by Starlight Trip

All our guides in the water waiting for us!
Hongs by Starlight TripHongs by Starlight Trip
Hongs by Starlight Trip

Carolynn and Tony!
Hongs by Starlight TripHongs by Starlight Trip
Hongs by Starlight Trip

Carolynn and Tony!
Hongs by Starlight TripHongs by Starlight Trip
Hongs by Starlight Trip

Heath hard at work!
Hongs by Starlight TripHongs by Starlight Trip
Hongs by Starlight Trip

Tony hard at work!


29th December 2006

Reet you write so well, its so enjoyable reading about your adventures (and misadventures) Keep em coming Luv Cathy
1st January 2007

great read
had to laugh at the story about the rude salesman. i am sure we got the same one when we were there. he was very rude to me. we couldn't get over it. lol. keep the stories coming.

Tot: 0.126s; Tpl: 0.024s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0321s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb