Pirating: Beaches, Brews, and Rum


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Phuket
July 23rd 2018
Published: July 24th 2018
Edit Blog Post

With sunny weather in the forecast, we planned to spend the bulk of the next two days on the beach. We picked Patong Beach for a Sunday Funday and Nai Harm Beachfor a more laid-back Monday.

We packed a six-pack of Leo and headed for Patong. We grabbed lunch near the shore and picked up some beer coozies at a convenience store. The sun was sizzling, so we sought a shady spot to sit and sip our suds. We spent the day switching between the surf and our refreshing beverages. Eventually, we started ordering Leo beers from a vendor. Brad put his newly minted MBA skills to work and negotiated a deal on a new pair of sunglasses.

After spending most of the day on the beach, we went to Surface for dinner. Surface is a rooftop restaurant positioned right on the coast and offers beautiful sunset views. We were pleasantly surprised to find the rooftop empty and we got front row seats to a terrific Thai twilight. After dinner, we walked along the main drag which was lined with bars and vendors. We stopped in for one last beer before calling it a night and heading home.

Monday, we ventured to Nai Harm beach. This beach was smaller and less developed. There were very few restaurants/bars nearby, but the beach itself was gorgeous. The sand was fine, soft, and white. The water was a transparent shade of blue. We played in the surf and caught some rays for a few hours.

At four o’clock we had a distillery tour and cocktail class at Chalong Bay Rum . The small-batch distillery makes 100%!p(MISSING)ure sugarcane white rum. We created and imbibed a mojito, spicyrhina, and pina colada during our time there. We toured the operation which uses a small copper still and relies on hand bottling and labeling. Our tour included two tapas which substituted for a light dinner.



After the distillery, we both were tired from two days in the sun and slightly buzzed from the rum. We found WWE’s Monday Night RAW on local TV and watched a few matches before bed.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0371s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb