Island hopping - Koh Tao & Koh Samui


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Ko Tao
April 2nd 2013
Published: April 6th 2013
Edit Blog Post

We finally managed to get a boat off Koh Phangan but didn’t get to Koh Tao until about 7.30pm and due to everyone heading to Koh Tao for a chill out after full moon the island was very busy and the hotel we had planned to check into was fully booked. After about an hour of walking around with our backpacks we finally checked into a way more expensive hotel. We had a quiet first night and saw little of Koh Tao, just went out for dinner and a few drinks.

The next morning we were up bright and early in search of another hotel but everywhere was still fully booked so we just booked at our hotel for another 2 nights. We then headed to the beach, and were very impressed. It was absolutely beautiful - gorgeous white sand, clear blue sea, palm trees and a backdrop of mountains, it was everything I had expected from Thailand beaches!

We spent most of the day at the beach before heading out for dinner and meeting up with some friends (some of our teacher friends were also on the island and my cousin was over in Thailand so we met up with them). We all headed out for buckets and then down to the beach for a beach party, it was really chilled out and we had a really good night.

We spent the next day just chilling out and recovering on the beach and as it was easter Sunday we went in search of a roast dinner and then just had a chilled out night before heading over to Koh Samui the next day.

We were up bright and early to get the boat to Koh Samui which took about 3 hours; having learnt our mistake about not booking anywhere we had already made a reservation and knew exactly where we were headed. We checked into our hotel and headed out for a big fry up and for an afternoon at the beach. The next two days were spent eating fry ups and italian food, relaxing on the beach, drinking 100baht frozen margaritas and trying to avoid the sleazy parts of Samui!

Out of Koh Phangan, Tao and Samui, Koh Tao was definitely my favourite. It was beautiful and had a much more chilled out vibe, the food was great and the beach party was wicked. Koh Phangan is party central but we just spent most of our days sleeping and Samui could easily have been mistaken for spain. Despite been a whole lot hotter and having much better beaches, it was so westernised through. McDonalds, burger kings, pubs selling cottage pie and full English breakfasts, american diners, pizza hut; it was very tourist based. don’t get me wrong, we loved having good western food on our doorstep but now im definitely ready for a proper Thailand beach get away, relaxing on a quiet beach for a few days is just what the doctor ordered…

Advertisement



Tot: 0.108s; Tpl: 0.027s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0583s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb