The Christian Bale scale


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Ko Tao
August 28th 2008
Published: August 28th 2008
Edit Blog Post

So we have both now succumbed to the travellers affliction - or as, i once read it described in Grazia ‘the travellers diet.’ Seriously, there was an article about women visiting exotic locations, and deliberately eating ‘risky foods’ in the hope that they would lose a few pounds for the holiday snaps. I can possibly think of maybe one or two more unpleasant ways of losing weight, but there can’t be many, and surely it can only be a good idea up until the point you realise you’re about to take an 8 hour journey on an un-airconditioned bus along and unsurfaced road, or if you just don’t have to do anything that requires leaving the safety of your room.
What with the aforementioned affliction, and the fact that the heat kills the appetite to an extent that you have to remind yourself to eat once a day, Mal is worryingly beginning to register on the lower end of the Christian Bale scale. He’s currently hovering somewhere between 310 to Yuma and Rescue Dawn, but I won’t start panicking too much until he goes beyond Rescue Dawn and heads towards The Machinist.
In an effort to prevent this happening we decided to go and eat a proper meal in an actual restaurant last night. Bearing in mind that in Bangkok we had only eaten from food stalls and baulked at anything that cost more than 30 Baht (50p) this was a big step for us.
Mal had the fish and chips, which despite sounding a bit of a ‘Brits abroad’ choice was a million miles away from a fish supper back home. Strips of caught-that-day Marlin were fried in feather-light Thai bread crumbs and served with a garlic alioli and, well, chips. It was absolutely amazing.


Advertisement



28th August 2008

cod
beats your average cod'n'chips with perhaps curry sauce!
31st August 2008

Bale scale
I think you only have to worry if he starts looking Empire of the Sun. That would be really weird. Liking your blog lots lots. Am very jealous of all but the travellers affliction. We're going to Fife today, to pick my sister up from a wedding. Might go to Anstruther for fish and chips. R xxx

Tot: 0.15s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0875s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb