Goodbye, Koh Tao!


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Ko Tao
June 11th 2008
Published: August 8th 2008
Edit Blog Post

I woke up early in the morning and walked to the top of the mountain. The first part of the journey was straight forward. The path then became really steep. I made it to te top after 1.5 hours. The scenery on top is not as great as I thought. On the way down I took a short cut which turned out to be a deadend. Battling the heat and sweat, I climbed back up to the top again and came downthe original path. Total time 3 hours.

I have noticed that there are many beautiful butterflies on the island. Unfortunately they are difficult to photograph as they flutter too fast.

After I checked out from the dive resort I boarded the ferry to Champun and on the way back to Bangkok. The wind s quite strong and blew my glasses into the sea. I have to get new glasses now. They were really nice, titanium rimless frames, and I only got them in January. I hope the travel insurance would pay for it. For the time being I have to rely on my contact lenses until I return to Bangkok. opefully this wn't offset the budget too much.

Champorn as a stopover town was surprisingly nice. There's a big night market selling all sorts of fresh fruits, cheap dinner, and even a few big Warehouse style shops selling everything. The interesting thing is, they don't have any computers! So if I wanted to buy something, I would give it to the shop assistant in charge of that area, who takes it over to the cash register and gets the person running the cash register to write it down in a log book, gets the change and run back to give it to me. No barcode, no scanning, no RFID of course, and no inventory control obviously. When labour is cheap, why not? But I couldn't help wonder what kind of Order to Cash opportunities are there...

On the bus I sat next to this French guy who kept on talking about spirituality, yoga and sex, and say how stupid the French people are. According to him 500B can buy sex from prostitutes in Thailand. Not that keen myself personally. I wonder where his spirituality teachers say. He spends 9 months of the year travelling and 3 months back in France as a physio. He's been to many interesting places, skiing in Iran, windsurfing in Koh Tao, and lots of other places. Interesting character, but I wish he could shut up so I could get some sleep.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0341s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb