Gilligan never had it so good


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Ko Samui
October 11th 2006
Published: October 11th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Life's a BeachLife's a BeachLife's a Beach

Susan's introduction to Koh Samui began with a beach massage and exotic cocktail.
The World’s Biggest Beach Party
Also: Elephants, SCUBA, and Romance…

Our group has spent the past week on the island of Koh Samui taking it all in...

We spent a day at the Ark Bar, that glamorous, overpriced poseur’s paradise where the beautiful people go to see and be seen. Tremendous flirtation ensued, some shopping and pedicures, swimming and laughing, before we were caught in a thunderstorm there (what more fun place to wait it out?)

We followed up with a Ladyboy cabaret show, where incredibly beautiful women (?!) performed intricate song and dance numbers for us. Susan was in a state of pure shock!

More shopping, and then a night spent partaking of a wonderful dinner show featuring traditional Thai dancers performing the most famous Thai stories. The dance is so breathtakingly graceful, the costumes and makeup and masks so evocative, you can steep in the history and imagine the times of Thailand’s beloved Rama Kings, the wars, jealousies, loves and passions.

Next was a day spent diving one of Thailand’s most famous sites, Sail Rock. Blue skies, turquoise water, and a rich variety of tropical fish that defy description. It was a great refresher
The Ark BarThe Ark BarThe Ark Bar

Beautiful people looking at beautiful people looking at...
course for me, and a wonderful new experience for those in our group accustomed to diving in Puget Sound. Our divers later took a three dive trip to the coral reefs south of the island of Koh Tao where we swam with a school of hundreds of barracuda.

Then: Koh Pha-Ngan! (pronounced Pen-Yawn) for the world famous Full Moon Party, the biggest beach party in the world! Thousands and thousands of people, dancing, drinking, drugging, doing what-all, kissing, flirting, swimming…what an unbelievable scene. I even heard that some people were *frolicking* in the bushes! When we took the boat back to Samui, at 7:00 A.M., there were still hundreds of people dancing on the beach! We had slept on the beach for a couple of hours, watched the sun rise, and were thoroughly tired of the pulsing dance music by that time.

One of Cynthia’s life long dreams came true day before yesterday: a ride through the jungle on an elephant. Her mahot (driver) slipped off the elephants head and gave Cynthia a try at guiding her elephant. Although an experienced horsewoman, Cynthia couldn’t coax a single jump out of her mount. You can’t visit Thailand and not
Michelle Goes WildMichelle Goes WildMichelle Goes Wild

Michelle, the wildest of the bunch grimaces as the tattoo artist works.
ride atop one of these magnificent animals! Our gang had a blast, and then topped it off with another not-to-be-forgotten moment: photos of the more daring in our group snuggling and cuddling with a huge Bengal Tiger! No chains, no drugs, not a baby, this was a just plain gorgeous beast. It thanked us for our attention with a very much undesired spraying!

There is so much more to report but we all have much better things to be doing then sitting in front of a computer! Our friends and family will get treated to all the details (or at least most of them) and a few hundred photos upon our return.




Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Full  Moon Party, Koh Pha NganFull  Moon Party, Koh Pha Ngan
Full Moon Party, Koh Pha Ngan

Dan and Michelle whoop it up!
Cynthia's PoisonCynthia's Poison
Cynthia's Poison

Cynthia introduces herself to the first of many "Mae Nam Specials"
Susan makes yet another friendSusan makes yet another friend
Susan makes yet another friend

A little elephant snuggling before clambering up.
Sisters on a slow rideSisters on a slow ride
Sisters on a slow ride

Cynthia tries her hand at being a mahout and driving Michelle around the jungle.
It's so relaxing down hereIt's so relaxing down here
It's so relaxing down here

Assuming the lotus position, Dan and Rebecca chill out.
Traditional Thai DancersTraditional Thai Dancers
Traditional Thai Dancers

The dancers invited our group on stage for a photo op after their magical performance.
Tired but happyTired but happy
Tired but happy

Dan and Rebecca dry out after an underwater day.
Grandfather Rocks!Grandfather Rocks!
Grandfather Rocks!

Kelli admires Grandfather rock.
PurrrrrrPurrrrrr
Purrrrrr

Mother, daughter and Bengal tiger.


11th October 2006

Wow! What a lot of fun. I am soooo jealous. Kelli, you better come back with lots of pics!
12th October 2006

Sounds like fun!
Sounds like you're all taking full advantage of ALL Thailand offers. With so many traveling with you who are new to the country, I'm sure it makes everything feel like a new experience for you, too. It's always fun to share new cultures and the experiences they have to offer with friends. Can't wait to hear about your adventures in Vietnam and Cambodia with the kids! Enjoy the remaining time with your buddies...but, I'm with you, don't spend too much time in front of the computer!
14th October 2006

too much fun
thanks for sharing your adventure. looks like way too much fun :)

Tot: 0.149s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0746s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb