This is the Life!


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Ko Samui
July 21st 2006
Published: July 21st 2006
Edit Blog Post

Koh SamuiKoh SamuiKoh Samui

Mae Nam Beach
If anyone is heading to Koh Samui and is in need of a bit of a rest - I would definitely recommend choosing Mae Nam Beach. It is a small, pictoresque beach which is hidden by the loud main street parallel to the beach. Once you get on the beach, it's like finding a hidden treasure!
The 2 days that I have spent here have been full of reading, sleeping, and long talks. On my first day, one of the first things I did was go swimming! It was a beautiful day and I ended up having a nap on the beach. I spent all day either in our bungalow, on the beach, or walking to the store in a quest for more water. Just what I needed!
I ended up finishing 'Tandia' - and am onto another Bryce Courtenay book called 'The Potato Factory'. Wow - travel blogs get boring when the writer relaxes too much! BUT yesterday we DID go out at night. We headed to the main beach on Koh Samui called Chaweng. This was a crazy place, full of pumping music and ladyboys sitting outside empty bars.
Our bungalows are managed by a friendly
Koh SamuiKoh SamuiKoh Samui

Temple
Swedish man who was willing to drive us into town to see a show....what type of show?!? A Ladyboy Show!! Just like the Ladyboys of Bangkok in Edinburgh - except free! Kenny, the swede, is actually going out with a ladyboy who works on the spotlight at the show.
The show ended up taking about 2 hours, and it was great! There were about 8 different ladyboys in the show, each taking turns to mime popular songs. There was a big mama of a ladyboy - who, appropriately, sang 'when you're good to mama, mama's good to you' from Chicago.
After the show we headed to the main clubbing street in Chaweng, where Julia (a german girl who had come along) and I danced with two Thai girls (one of whom is living next door to us) who we happened to meet on the street!
The next day we had arranged a yoga class in the morning, so Robbie, Julia, and I went next door at 9:00am. The man next door who is teaching us a bit about yoga has an extremely interesting life story. He is originally from Boston, but at the age of 22 we
Koh SamuiKoh SamuiKoh Samui

Pa as massage trainee!
went to fight in Vietnam, and ended up getting shot in the head. His entire left side was paralyzed, and the doctors told him he would never walk again. However, once he was allowed to leave the hospital, he moved away from the states in search of a cure. He talked to numerous specialists, and went to study under many great natural healers all over the world.
Today he is able to walk, and leads a normal life with his Thai wife. His movement has not returned to a large part of his left side, but through a combination of yoga and different Chinese, Indian, and Thai massage techniques, he is extremely flexible throughout his body - including those limbs which he cannot move himself.
Our yoga lesson took up nearly 2 hours, after which we took him for breakfast and paid for his newspaper, food, and water for cooking. Later that day I decided I should book myself a trip to Koh Phi Phi...but Kenny's girlfriend - Gwen - told me that the west side of Thailand is extremely rainy, and it would be better to go somewhere else. So I have decided to head to Malaysia.
Koh SamuiKoh SamuiKoh Samui

Cabaret Show
Tomorrow I leave Koh Samui and make my way to Hat Yai!


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Koh SamuiKoh Samui
Koh Samui

Mae Nam Beach
Koh SamuiKoh Samui
Koh Samui

Laughing Buddha
Koh SamuiKoh Samui
Koh Samui

Buddha
Koh SamuiKoh Samui
Koh Samui

Robbie
Koh SamuiKoh Samui
Koh Samui

Kenny & Waen
Koh SamuiKoh Samui
Koh Samui

Julia taking part in the show!
Koh SamuiKoh Samui
Koh Samui

Dancing after the Cabaret Show


24th July 2006

hey girlfirend!
did you get my e-mail? anyway, i am studying hard in tokyo, but have been planning great trips later on in the year and my friend and i were discussing on going to malasia. when will you be there? i'd love to see you somewhere in asia before you go off again to the otherside of the world! lots of love, mana xxxx

Tot: 0.16s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0751s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb