Emergency Landing...Dislocation...Fracture...not a good way to start a holiday


Advertisement
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Ko Samui
March 4th 2012
Published: April 24th 2012
Edit Blog Post

The last 6 months have seen us have some bad luck with flights – one flight, in November, had us abort a landing where the wings of the plane were literally touching the tops of the palm trees below. At the very last minute the plane pulled back up and re-attempted the approach from a different direction. However, this latest piece of bad luck when we were on our way to Bangkok was something we ... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 56, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Sailing boatSailing boat
Sailing boat

the boat was very far away...Neil wanted to include this photo to boast about the size of his ZOOM!
Paul getting in the waterPaul getting in the water
Paul getting in the water

keep that injured arm up Paul. Don't get any of that effluent into your wound!...lol
Nice view of Koh PhanganNice view of Koh Phangan
Nice view of Koh Phangan

a nice safe viewing distance from the chaos of Haad Rin.
Chaweng beachChaweng beach
Chaweng beach

the actual beach is slowly getting swallowed up by the encroachment of nearby hotels and bars. Shame!



24th April 2012

:)
Geez, you have been on some scary flights. Am I just lucky, or are the experiences you had the usual... Hope the rest of your trip is a bit less eventful, in the bad luck areas of travel. :)
24th April 2012

flight bad luck!
Well until the last 6 months we had never had anything like this happen to us either with flights. Today, for instance we had another incident...we ended up circling the airport for 30 minutes as a military plane had to make an emergency landing. Maybe we are now jinxed with flights?!
25th April 2012

If you cannot afford insurance, you cannot afford to travel!
Sorry to read about what happened to Paul, but he was lucky to have a loving family around him at that difficult time. Glad that he will make a full recovery, but that scar is even scarier looking than that "horribly poisonous" spider!
25th April 2012

Agree...never travel without insurance
Exactly, Shane and this has highlighted to us how essential travel insurance is. The scar looks a lot better now, but that spider had us a little bit scared!
25th April 2012

Double Ouch.....but at least you are all still in one piece :)
Sounds like you had a barrel of laughs :/ Why can't my holidays ever be this eventful.... I always get turbulence free flights and hire bikes that work....although I did once end up in a ditch after swerving round a cow in India......anyway, I hope Paul is recovering well. Yup, gave Chavy Chaweng a miss completely and sadly it seems that Lamai is going in exactly the same direction. I was chatting with a fellow teacher the other day who is in his 60s. He was telling me wonderful stories of an untouched Ko Samui that he visited back in 1973.
25th April 2012

Eventful holidays
Well we would have definitely preferred an uneventful holiday but despite everything we still had a good time and spent lots of family time together. Ahh, those fabled tales of the Samui of old...unfortunately everywhere changes but at least it's still possible to find a little slice of heaven even on a developed island.
25th April 2012

Glad all was ok
Hi guys Good to hear what you are both up to. Sorry to hear you had a bit of a bad time with Paul but it sounds like he was very well cared for both in the hospital and by you both so hopefully it didn't spoil his holiday too much.. that scar will be an everlasting reminder though! Hope you are both great, we are heading over to Asia in January so maybe we'll bump into you again! Fingers crossed that is the last of your bad luck for a good long while xx
26th April 2012

Fingers crossed!
Hellooo! Looking at it statistically, the number of flights we do chances are something will go wrong at some point but we do actually have our fingers crossed that our bad luck concerning flights is over! Let us know your plans closer to the time, we would love to meet up with you and catch up! xx
26th April 2012

What a tale!
Wow, we are headed to Koh Samui in Feb next year for a wedding (Staying at the 'Peace Resort') and after reading that I think we will be looking at car hire rather than moped! Would you be able to pass on the details of the guy you used? Also any recommendations on things to do/places to visit? We are short on time so will only have about 5 days there.
26th April 2012

tips and recommendations
Hi Andy and Nicola, happy to give you tips and recommendations - we'll send you a message with details. Feb is a good time to visit, the weather should be nice!
29th May 2013

travel insurance
OMG, I feel bad for Paul... Sometimes i feel foolish to purchase travel insurance but sounds like i should continue buying it!
30th May 2013

Thanks for the comment
Thankfully Paul is fully recovered (just over a year on) and has full movement back with his arm. Yes, travel insurance really is so important, never feel foolish buying it as you never know when you will need it!
9th August 2013

A bucket of vodka
You've had pretty good luck in the past...but this one...ugh. I'm thinking the vodka was indeed the way to go. Bing nurses we like to go to hospitals and have a look around when we visit foreign countries but we like to look and leave...not become customers.
10th August 2013

Bad luck indeed!
Yes, it was very bad luck. You would have been fascinated by the hospital...although we would definitely have preferred not to have seen inside one and so would Paul! Vodka buckets seemed like a good remedy and did help a bit ;)

Tot: 0.117s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 17; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0888s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb