The Land of Excess


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Ko Samui
February 14th 2006
Published: February 20th 2006
Edit Blog Post

So we arrived in Koh Samui after a day and night of hell. The train to Surat Thani (the jumping off point to the Islands) was a few hours late, meaning that we arrived in darkness and rain without a map for the town. Thankfully there had been a meal included with our ticket price, otherwise we would have been starving as well. As usual there were many a dodgy taxi tout types but we did manage to find a cheap cheap room that was not exacly pretty but it had a bed and a toilet and was relatively secure. Thankfully we found the night market and had a sweet dinner and generally felt better for it.

On the boat to Samui we met an Aussie guy, Derek who was on his way back from India and Nepal so we had a really ineresting chat with him and he gave us all his leftover Nepalese money which was really neat. We also got gipped by some hostel guy so ended up going with some nice lady to a bunglow at the north (quiet) end of Lamai Beach.

Our Bungalow was small, but did the trick, and was right on the beach which meant we woke up to the sound of the surf which was really nice.

We went for a walk and explored Lamai beach but discovered that it was all mega toruisty - very few street vendors, lots of shops selling fisherman pants and knock offs, HEAPS of bars with poles in the middle and lots of German and British tourists that had spent too much time in the sun. Luckily, by comparison the restaurant at our GH was great. It was cheaper and was right on the beach, lit up at night with fairy lights and cheesy music. I had two very amazing thai curries with pineapple and corb had some pretty tasty stuff too. MMmmm we were happy.

We had thought about trying to reach the Full Moon Party on Koh Pha-Ngan, however due to bad weather the night boats were not running. THat was all right though as we were both pretty knackered so enjoyed our lazy couple of days just chilling and making the most of the good curry!

Following this we decided that the islands weren't really our thing and that we'd much rather have more time up North to do some good treks so on the 16th we set off for Bangkok once again.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.149s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 12; qc: 42; dbt: 0.0906s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb