Maid to Order


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Ko Samui
December 16th 2007
Published: December 25th 2007
Edit Blog Post

I always thought that it would be great to have a maid available whenever I wanted but now that we have had one I can only say that some dreams are better off forgotten. Naat and her husband Kai live in one room attached to the house. She is the maid and he is Joe Friday who is supposed to look after the garden, the pool, and the owner’s car. From what we have seen he doesn’t know anything about plants, grass, flowers, or pools. As the newly laid grass is dying, there are more than a couple of dead flowering plants in the “dead plant pile” - this looks exactly like it sounds! And when it rains the pool overflows onto the patio and the garden because he has a rag stuffed in the overflow drain.

Naat on the other hand is there at every corner you turn in the house, all the time. On day one she was there helping bring in our bags, bringing in the few groceries we bought and asking if we wanted dinner. On day two she wandered into the house about 7:30 asking if we wanted coffee or breakfast. She then made the bed complete with decorative pillows and bed runner, put our four of five items of laundry in the washing machine and swept some of the dirt and dead bugs around in the kitchen and hallway. Later in the day I found her unpacking our suitcases. Once we accepted the fact that we weren’t changing houses soon we went for bigger groceries which she also helped unpack and once again asked us if she was cooking dinner.

Day two and three continued in much the same manner and the lack of a communication was becoming an issue. Yes, it is nice to have someone come in and make your bed, do your laundry, and clean up after you. But when you get up to go pee, grab a coffee, and plan on going back to bed to read only to find your bed perfectly made…..once again with decorative pillows and bed runner, it is a little bit annoying. We had originally asked to only have maid service twice a week instead of daily and had told Julie that again during our meeting on day two it seems that it took a few days for the message to get to Naat.
BuddyBuddyBuddy

He has adopted us but he doesn't understand English


We now have no maid service what-so-ever, make our own bed every morning, carry our own groceries, sweep our own floor, and do our own laundry. A few days ago she even gave us a bill for taking our sheets to the laundry.



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

ScooterScooter
Scooter

Beach sellers on their way to work


Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0316s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb