Gimme Samui


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Ko Samui
November 8th 2007
Published: November 8th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Hi all,

This update is from our adventures in Ko Samui - Cambodia to come
Ko Samui
Ko Samui is an island on the east coast of Thailand in the Gulf of Thailand. We stayed at a resort called the Amari Palm Reef Resort. The Amari was well located on Chaweng Beach and had most of the amenities required of American Honeymooners - well except for any Americans. We have been amazed to see for nearly all of our trip that Elise and I seem to be the lone ambassadors of our great nation - which given the state of our government might actually be a good thing. When we arrived we made sure to mention that it was our honeymoon (13 times) and they upgraded our room and even surprised us with some flower petals on the bed - very nice.

Our time in Ko Samui was spent at the pool working on the brown-o-meter (which was regretfully absent from last post, but I was trying to finish typing without sweating the last remaining liquids of my body in that internet cafe); along with lots of massages, and some light shopping. Walking the main drag of Chaweng is sort of like one of those football drills where the team holds those huge pads and whacks you as you run through the gauntlet. From every direction you are being bombarded by the gaggle of masseusses (def. spelled that wrong), the Burmese or Indian proprietors of Tailor shops (who are alwasy VERY interested in where you are from), and any restaurant employee should you make the grave mistake of accidentally looking in the general direction of their menu out front.

Our favorite annoyance was the omnipresent two guys on a scooter asking you to scratch and win so that they could earn a little money. Of course the first ticket is a dud, but that second ticket "OH MY GOD, YOU WON!!!! THIS NEVER HAPPENS!!!, Now just let us take you to our full day timeshare presentation and maybe even rob you and drop you off somewhere - but hey we speak english, isn't that great?" Fortunately we warned about this - or should I say fortunately Elise was warned about this, otherwise I'd probably still be sitting there saying, "Hey, cool, can I buy some magic beans from you too?" Good thing I married the sensible one.

Thats most of what I remember but after a few days of 2 hour massages for about $20 who can remember anything.

We are about to board a plane to Hong Kong, the last leg of our trip, so I'll write about Cambodia later... you won't want to miss it, trust me!

Advertisement



8th November 2007

Play the Lotto
Awesome. It's almost as good as the Veterans Commercial to play the lotto and all the proceeds go to Veterans. The commercial sounds like a Miller Lite commercial and Public Service Ad rolled into one. Very similar to the Thai lotto because in the end the Veterans and tourists get ripped off either way. in the states, it's the Veterans that are spending gobs of money on the lotto anyway. Hope you hit the jackpot on your next stop. (In advertising that would be an awesome way to close a paragraph.)

Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0264s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb