Ko Samui and Ko Pha Ngan


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Ko Samui
January 5th 2007
Published: January 21st 2007
Edit Blog Post

It was down to Ko Samui for Christmas. It was great to unpack the rucksack and be in the same place for more than a couple of days. We had some lazy days enjoying the great food, banana milkshakes and cheap beers. We had Christmas dinner on the 25th in an Irish pub so we got the traditional turkey, ham, stuffing and roasted potatoes.
We spent a few days reading by the pool but we were more active other days - did a circuit of the island by mountain bike, spent hours bodysurfing in the waves at Chaweng and paid a visit to some waterfalls in the middle of the island.

Also took a tour to Ang Thon marine park, most famous as the setting of the novel called The Beach. It was quite like Halong Bay in Vietnam but the islands were a good bit smaller here. The snorkelling visibility was really bad because of a storm the previous week but the kayaking was great. Worth the trip.

We joined the droves of Westerners and took the boat to Ko Phagnan before New Year's Eve. It was a lot less built up than Samui and very laid back. We stayed at Chills resort right on the beach at Sri Thanu. Very laid back during the day but things liven up at night. We were there for the January Full Moon party with 20,000 others dancing on the beach at Hat Rin. Good times.



Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.143s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 51; dbt: 0.1073s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb