Koh Ra Ecolodge


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Ko Ra
September 22nd 2008
Published: September 22nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Sawadee kap friends, family and intrepid travelers,

We just wanted to take a moment and offer you and yours an invitation to the Ko Ra Ecolodge (http://www.thaiecolodge.com/), Heather and I will be living and helping out on this truly special island for the foreseeable future. Our friends Kim and Awe are working so hard to make this lodge a model of sustainability, an example of what can be . . . bungalows constructed with local materials, a solar array, organic garden, waste separation, gray water recycling, locally-produced foods, community-based tourism. The ecolodge has simply set different priorities, most importantly, always sincerely striving to lessen our ecological footprint. And that ecology is simply astonishing, crab-eating macaque monkeys foraging on the beach in morning, nesting white-bellied sea eagles, oriental pied hornbills, slow loris, giant water monitors, oh, and world-class diving 😊.

No one can convey its philosphy better, than Kim . . .

“Briefly, The Koh Ra Ecolodge is located on a remote island off southern Thailand's Andaman Sea coast. The island is a proposed National Park and is one of the gems of this coastline, which is Thailand's largest stretch of intact coastal jungle (one of the oldest on earth), mangrove forests, mountains, and islands, all waiting for exploration. There are about seven other National Parks and Wildlife Sanctuaries in the area. As of yet, Koh Ra has almost zero development except for a few scattered houses and one remote resort tucked into the jungle on a private bay and beach (that's us). There are many other islands in the area including the world famous dive sites of the Surin Islands National Park a group of offshore islands, with crystal clear seas and vibrant coral reefs. The Koh Ra Ecolodge is the closest resort to stay and dive the Surin Islands.

Our goal is to promote sustainability and conservation in the area while working with local communities and stakeholders to create a win-win situation for the people and nature of the area. A portion of the proceeds from the operation of the Ecolodge will go to supporting local conservation and community projects, in addition to the hands-on work we will be doing here with your help. We will continue to base our Reef Check conservation project here, which has now been running for about five years. To this, we will be adding several other ecological and conservation projects and guests can join any of our projects as a volunteer research assistant. We will also have a host of ecotour activities such as jungle trekking, sea kayaking and local village tours and cultural activities. We will have an on-site Dive Center and will be running our own dive boat out to the best diving in Thailand and some of the best in Southeast Asia, the Surin Islands, every day. Of course, as any of you who have joined us in the past know, we will be serving up some of the best Thai and fusion cuisine you can imagine, every night in our open-air beachside restaurant.”

So if you've ever dreamed of visiting southeast asia, or are in need of a return to Thailand, please consider the ecolodge. Hope you are all happy and healthy, Jarod & Heather

“How to be green? Many people have asked us this important question. It's really very simple and requires no expert knowledge or complex skills. Here's the answer. Consume less. Share more. Enjoy life."
~Derek Wall, former Principal Speaker of the Green Party of England and Wales




Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Gliding GekkoGliding Gekko
Gliding Gekko

Friendly insect control


24th September 2008

Cost?
How much does it cost? littledogsden@gmail.com

Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0438s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb