Bangkok and Beyond


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Ko Pha-Ngan
February 17th 2011
Published: February 17th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Hello. We have a little bit of a treat this week. I'm going to hand you over to our very own guest writer, for one week only, unless he's good, then he can do them all... Enjoy.

Without wanting to disappoint the interested followers of Simon's love life, this guest writer is not, unfortunately, a lovely lady he met while traveling (though there have been a few...). No, better than that, the writer of this blog is none other than Simon's friend and, more recently, free-riding guest who owes him money in four different currencies, Chris! Yay!

Details of our most recent escapades will follow shortly, however, I feel the need to use the first part of this blog to respond to some of the allegations Simon has made on these pages regarding my general incompetence. To start, blocking my card on the first day here was an easy mistake to make - rather impressively, I did have the right numbers, kind of, just in the wrong order. Secondly, the 'crash' on the motorbike which so alarmed the Ellis' in the reading audience was most certainly not a 'crash' in the truest sense of the word; a gentle rolling into a wall for the purposes of providing a spot of light entertainment at the end of a tough day's riding (mine - excellent, Simon's - less so) would be more accurate. Finally, leaving the aforementioned and at this point unblocked cash card in a Saigon cash point was very easily done. It had been a very long day, I was tired, Simon was naggy, as I have found he often is when he doesn't get enough sleep, and, unlike in the UK, the card actually comes out AFTER the cash/receipt. YES, AFTER! I know, unbelievable - I don't know how Vietnam functions.

So, false claims rebuked, news of the last week's travel now follows. Apparently Simon hasn't bothered writing since we arrived in Ho Chi Minh City (HCM) in Vietnam and, since we are now on Koh Phangan in the south of Thailand, that leaves me quite a lot of news to relay. Here goes...

We spent two nights in HCM, or Saigon as it used to be called (and still often is). We found ourselves a small guesthouse run by a very friendly lady right in the heart of the backpacker district - I forget the name of the road. I hope Simon doesn't normally bother with those kind of details since I won't. We then spent two days or so exploring the city, something which was perfectly easy to do even on foot. We both liked HCM enormously - it was modern, clean(ish), cheap and friendly, while the bustle and activity made quite a welcome change from the slow pace we had kept to in Laos for the previous fortnight or so. Without wanting to re-open the, still fresh, wounds caused by the ridiculous we-can't-get-into-Vietnam-because-they've-shut-the-borders-for-a-whole-week fiasco, I will say we were both sorry that we had to fly so soon back to Bangkok...

Having enjoyed HCM so much, we both felt ready for Bangkok Round 2 - observant readers of this blog will remember that we flew into that city at the very start of that trip, although we then promptly slept for around 24 hours before leaving the next day. This time was to be different. We planned to stay around 3 nights, giving ourselves almost 4 days to explore it properly. This we did and...I liked it, Simon less so. It was big. Much bigger than HCM, which necessitated moving around in taxis or tuk-tuks or the skytrain. It was also really, really hot, which made doing anything during the middle of the day outside pretty impossible. However, the food was very good (I ate a scorpion - crunchy and salty), the people were friendly and there was excellent shopping. After 3 days, though, I feel we were both ready to leave and so we headed south on an overnight bus to Koh Phangan, the first of our islands...

From the three nights we've spent here so far, there is very little to report. We both took turns at being ill, Simon more so. We have finally got onto a beach, the weather is around 40 degrees in the middle of the day (which we've wisely, under my direction, been staying out of) and Simon's had the courage to get back on a scooter with me. We will be here until Monday, when we leave for Koh Tao to undertake our PADI open water diving certificates. Until then, more of the same I expect...although we will be 'having it large' on Saturday night at the Full Moon Party. I'll keep an eye on Simon though, Lorraine, don't worry...

Anyway, all the best. Oh, and if the Ellis' want to see me writing a few more of these blogs (or anyone else, I know it's been fairly immense), you should just keep viewing it so that it gets loads of hits. Then Simon will have to let me have another go.

Chris

Advertisement



17th February 2011

Of Course The Banks Are To Blame....
Hi boys. Well it all sounds pretty good to me - maybe not the taking it in turns to be ill bit, and what about those ATM's - just rubbish! Not your fault at all Chris! It's such a relief to know that you will be keeping an eye on Si at the 'full moon party'! Enjoy yourselves and try to stay out of trouble, we all await the next installment with baited breath! Have fun. Mum (Botley) xx
18th February 2011

Hello from Bath!
Lovely to hear from you.So glad to hear also that you are both in one piece! Did you learn to just walk out into the traffic to cross the roads, and the bikes would go around you in Saigon? Margaret and I were slow learners! but got the hang of it.Glad too you are being careful and not getting frizzled up by the gorgeous sunshine.Do be careful with your money and cards, my card was copied when out of my sight in Singapore market. I love hearing what you are both getting up to all of it! Lots of love to you intrepid travellers Liz
20th February 2011

Hi Chaps
Greetings from a very cool and Grey February day in Shropshire, there does that not make you feel homesick? It may be of very little interest to you Si that there was about two inches of snow in Leeds yesterday but I thought I would mention it anyway. Well done Chris a very interesting and informative blog, it still sounds like hard work to us but I guess thats down to the generation gap. Sorry to hear that you have both been a "bit" poorly, could it perhaps be down to some concoction you may have eaten? I did warn Si of the danger in dining off "THINGS" wrapped in a "Banana leaf" .So what is next? guess Malaysia (Malaya as it was in my day) must soon be on the itinery. A word of mild caution, do check your bags "before" presenting yourselves to their emigration control (they have some very Harsh laws). On a lighter note, when in Singapore remember to treat the TIGER with respect, it has a kick and a bite!! which can last for several days... Have fun, enjoy, take care.... Bye4now N&G.

Tot: 0.123s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0581s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb