Doi InthanonThailand's National Park, Chiang Mai


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Northern Thailand
February 10th 2016
Published: February 10th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Tuesday 9 February
Another early start today, Alf had organised a trek circumnavigating the forest of Doi InthanonThailand's highest mountain, within a national park created around it. Our trip includes a driver, minibus,an English-speaking guide named Pear and the 6 of us old veteran Phoenix walkers. The journey takes one and a half hours and we drive to the summit, our first stop being a viewing platform. Unfortunately, what should have been spectacular views is a little spoilt by the misty conditions. After a few photographs and a visit to a shrine on the very highest point (including a quick visit to the highest loo in Thailand) we drive on, descending to the Rangers station where we meet our guide for the trek. We are told the walk is circular with a few ups and downs and roughlyabout 3 kilometres. What our guide didn't mention was that most of the ups were by steps and very steep. It took us two and a half hours to complete. Admiring a waterfall, we learned that it was the source of Bangkok's Chao Phraya river. We all felt the exertions, but the views , flora and fawna were well worth it and we might add, most of the other people we saw on the trek were a lot younger than us and struggled as much, if not more that us oldies A short drive later we are admiring the King and Queens Twin Chedis, erected by the people of Thailand in their honour. The surrounding gardens are views are astounding. As it was now a little after 2pm, lunch was needed. We ate at a large food station that housed several outlets, this was prearranged by Pear and was not a great experience. After lunch we visited a small village renowned for it's locally grown coffee which we sampled, brewed in a village hut on a open fire, it was a little bit like our Cypriot coffee but with more bitterness. As a group, we decided not to purchase any. Rounding off the trip with a stop at a spectacular waterfall at the base called Wachirathan Waterfall, we return to Changmai around 6.30pm after a thoroughly enjoyable full day out. Saying good bye to Tony and Janet who are leaving in the morning to continue their tour, we arrange to meet up with Alf and Marilyn for dinner the next evening before they also depart to pastures new.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0316s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb