the golden triangle et al


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Northern Thailand » Chiang Khong
July 30th 2013
Published: July 30th 2013
Edit Blog Post

So we left chiang rai and headed up to the long neck karen tribe, nice to see the thai government supporting them to remain traditional even though they are immigrants from burma. Hard to imagine what it must feel like wearing all those neck rings.

Next up to the tea plantation, this felt like the homecoming to me being an avid green tea drinker. So good to see from plant to leaves and the process it goes thru.

Onto mae sai which is the border town to myanmar (burma) and the most northern point of thailand, great little town full of burmese people selling their wares. Could see the evidence of the recent floods. Pic below is off the flooded car park underneath the connecting bridge between both immigration points.

Next onto the golden triangle, this view was unbelievable! Great looking out at the triangle where the 3 countries thailand, laos and myanmar (burma) meet at the mekong delta.

Drove to chiang saen, small town with lots of history and ruins of temples from the burma war with thailand.

Last but not least we arrive in chiang khong, which is where we are staying tonight before crossing the border in the morning and starting our 2 day slow boat ride down the mekong delta towards luang prabang, laos. We will be stopping there for a few days to explore and maybe get a bit of rest. Think we will also start to give out all the football shirts to the kids, really looking forward to this ( thanks again collette and diane).

We are staying in the most amazing hotel which has cost us a tenner!! Our balcony looks right out onto the mekong delta and we can see laos, even hear the laos dogs barking across the water.

Peace n love y'all xx


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



30th July 2013
DSCN1957

The Northern Most of Thailand
are they talking about you two northerners? Pics look fab, love the ones of the ladies with the long necks...amazing how they do that. take care you two and enjoy your slow boat. look forward to the next slide show. :) xx

Tot: 0.048s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0283s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb