Shinpyu ( becoming a novice monk)


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand » Um Phang
March 7th 2010
Published: March 7th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Portable MusicPortable MusicPortable Music

This was the first I saw of the procession. In front was the portable music player, maybe it will replace the MP3.
The other day while walking around I saw this procession of people going through camp. Everyone was dressed in fancy clothes and carrying gifts and music was playing for the camp it was very interesting. At the time I didn't know what I was seeing but later I learned it was the Shinpyu. It is a buddhist ceremony. The celebrates sending of their young boy (8-9) to a monastery where he will become a novice monk. He will receive the gold robes and have his head shaved. This tradition dates back over 2500 years ago. The boy is receiving the heritage of Buddha and it is considered a very important and joyous occasion. He is no longer considered the son of the family but the son of Buddha he will live in the monastery and study. He is now considered to be "higher" than his parents and they will no longer refer to him as their son but use more honorific terms.




Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

ShinpyuShinpyu
Shinpyu

Procession heading to monastery with alms and gifts.
SHinpyuSHinpyu
SHinpyu

The young boy on the shoulders will be a monk tomorrow.
ShinpyuShinpyu
Shinpyu

Everyone dresses in finer to well wish the young boy.


Tot: 0.096s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 56; dbt: 0.039s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb