Historical Sites of Sukhothai


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand » Sukhothai
June 16th 2006
Published: June 26th 2006
Edit Blog Post

We spent another day in Chiang Mai checking out all of the markets, we were wandering around the stalls at the night market when we walked past a stall selling dvds/cds and he was playing a song by the Finn brothers, we both started to mouth the words to the song and the guy selling stuff just looked at us, smiled and said "kiwis"

The following day we caught a local bus down to Sukhothai. When we arrived we were hustled onto the back of a ute taxi and were told by the driver that accommodation would be very hard to find as apparently about 10,000 Thai people had descended here for some kind of ceremony (a scam to get us to stay at his accommodation), we did struggle to see these extra 10,000 people floating around and didn't have too much trouble finding a bed luckily.

The following day we travelled the 12km from New Sukhothai to Old Sukhothai (old Sukhothai was the original capital of the Thai kingdom and now is home to a historical park) on the back of local bus (an old truck, flatdeck, made into a bus) and then decided we were energetic enough to hire bicycles to explore the historical park and surrounding area. The main complex is housed within city walls about 1.5km x 1.5km containing 21 historical sites and 4 ponds, with another 70 sites within a 5km radius. The sites were not quite on the same scale as Angkor and quite different in their design. After 4 hours cycling in what seemed like 9000 degrees we had seen all the major sites and decided to head back to New Sukhothai for a well earned Fanta. Our bus back was absolutely chocka full of Thai people when we left, however they somehow managed to pack another 15 people on during the journey. That evening we ventured to the night market where Anna found her favourite Thai food, no, not green curry but you guessed it banana and chocolate roti (similar to a pancake).




Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Our transportOur transport
Our transport

We went for the option of comfy seats, not fast bikes this time
Wat Si ChumWat Si Chum
Wat Si Chum

Impressive 15m buddha


Tot: 0.313s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0893s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb