Sleeping beauty in the ruinparks of Sukhothai


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand » Sukhothai
October 24th 2005
Published: October 25th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Yesterday I left my friends in Chiang Mai. They grabbed a cheap flight to Kuala Lumpur and i was strolling around to buy a couple of bananas and a rich brunch before leaving for Thailands first capital, Sukhothai, now only ruins, but not to be underestimated... Just having sat down on the bus i saw a monk walking close by. "Maybe he's going with this bus and will come sit down just next to me", i thought. Some time passed and then suddenly he sat there next to me! Surprised and shy as i hadn't approached anyone yet on my solo trip we just exchanged some smiles and i was thinking maybe he didn't speak english and sure there would be alot of time to talk before arriving to Sukhothai. So I continued reading the book my book, "Dr. Strangelove", that was already firmly put in hy hands... An hour went and we reached the first station on the way, then he said that here was were he lived and it was a very beautiful place (small city called Lampang), before i had any time to speak to him he had wished me good luck and was gone. It felt so hard being neglected contact when i had built up all these assumptions and expectations, so i decided from now on to drop the shyness and just turn open to any next person in sight... well not exactly like that 😊 but at least i did have some nice conversations with other travellers when arrived in Sukhothai!
I tried finding the cheapest possible guesthouse, nd i think i did, but it wasn't bad even though it was cheap 😊. I strolled around the streets as the sun had just set, not to much to see really in this new city of Sukhothai, but at least i found a descent pad thai to put my hunger on a strain and two talkative germans to share travelling experiences with. Early to bed and up at seven i took the local bus to the ruin park. - Here i stop for a brief LALALALALALA as a tribute to all amazing computers fucking up my writing (i just lost the rest of my text), and well also my absent-mindedness not copying the damn text! -
Great trees, greengrass, small lakes and ponds sourrounded the tempel ruins. The amosphere was stunning! Maybe it was the great history that was reflected over the whole place. Grey-white-blue looking stone Buddha statues excerted a much a very different and much more intense energy than any golden buddha. In the central park there was greatest and the most well restaurated ruins. It was fascinating how it still kept it's atmosphere as quick tour buses and big groups of young thai students were ravaging the area. Going to the outskirts, outside the city walls to small woods connecting to little village houses, you could find an even calmer atmosphere, and greater space for yourself to linger around. These parts were very little visited and many quite worn down. But decay is beautiful and these well preserved and restaurated part many times feel much too plastic, made for tourists. With the bicycle i had rented it was quite easy going off the worn roads... I sat down at one of these rambling temple ruin sites for a bit of meditation, but couldn't find any concentration in the heat, my head falling on the side, sleepy. After some rest and slowly making the way back i got on the bus back to the guesthouse. There i met an english couple in the twenties, who i shared some chit-chat and a dinner with. And as my chang beer and a hard day was bringing me close to falling asleep sitting i thought i'd have a little smoke before i go. Then i saw this aussie named stewart i had met earlier on the bus. I joined him as he was also having a cigarette. We started talking and as our conversation got deeper the sleepiness was pushed away. We shared alot of thoughts about philosphy and religion, Zen, Dao and Buddhism. Seemed like this travelling soul as he was, was on the same wave length! two-three hours later, satisfied i went to bed.
And now i'm so hungry i might even snatch food from a monkey! Sorry to have left you such a big black hole in my travelling history, let's hope i'm in a mood for blogging soon again. No guarantees. Last but not least...write me some damn comments, i wanna hear you!!! or else or else, something very bad will happen or i'll just be disapointed, discouraged...😞 Miaooo

Advertisement



25th October 2005

Tjena!
Roligt att läsa, som alltid. Du skriver bra! Känner igen mig i situationen med munken på bussen. Ingen idé att vara blyg när man är ute och reser, man är ju där för att uppleva så mycket som möjligt. Jag snackade med tjejen som jag kanske skulle dra till Thailand med förresten, hon ska typ flytta till Thailand snart tydligen. Blir väl till att hälsa på henne där då. Träna lite muay thai kanske. Då får jag rådfråga dig innan istället!"
25th October 2005

avundsjuk
jag e så avundsjuk jag e så avundsjuk...kanske inte ska forstätta där :) nä jag e så glad å höra om dina äventyr. jag sitter här på kvällen i min lilla håla, det regnar och blåser ute i mörkret och jag drömmer mig bort till fjärran länder och drömmar om livet och romantiseringar...men studierna har börjat på riktigt o allt är inte sådär megaintressant men det blir nog bra. ändrar sig gör det i alla fall som buddhisterna brukar säga (och pappa..) jag önskar dig all trygghet och värme när du möter det nya på egna ben kramar å pussar din mimmi som vakar över dig tillsammans med de andra änglarna
27th October 2005

up to date
Well, I just read myself up to date after never getting around to reading your journal. I must say I am quite jealous of you and all you have seen but also very happy for you! I will have to make some nice trips myself. I suppose I will have to leave comments every now and then so you know that I enjoy rading your journal.
29th October 2005

yo!
Hej Rasmus! Vilken tur att jag hittade hit. Fast ibland träffar jag Richard på msn, och då får man ju några updates. Äh, nu vet jag inte vad jag ska skriva. Men jag tittar förbi lite då och då och ser hur du har det, och sånt.
31st October 2005

Hörde att du var på något retreat center? Hoppas att du har det bra där :)

Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0588s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb