More sights around Mae Sot


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand » Mae Sot
December 13th 2008
Published: February 26th 2009
Edit Blog Post

This was the last weekend that I would spend in Mae Sot before moving up to picturesque Mae Hong Son. Daryl and I decided to venture out on our motorbikes for the afternoon so he could show me some other sights before I left the region.

We started off at a Temple on the way to Tak which housed a beautiful gold plated Buddha statue. We then visited the Shrine of Pawo located on top of a hill on the main freeway. Pawo is called upon by Thais to protect them during times of travel, especially emergency situations. Out of respect for Pawo all vehicles passing the shrine will toot their horns as they drive past, making it a pretty noisy destination.
We then visited a peaceful water reserve tucked away from the main town and a great picnic or fishing spot.

Our last stop for the day was along a dirt bike track in search of Sai Rung waterfall, that no local could tell us how to get to and which could only be seen on a far road directly on the opposite side. As I rode along the trail and felt the motorbike nearly slip right under my body a couple of times I decided to give the rest of the journey a miss and enjoyed the scenery of the fields while Daryl powered on ahead. It was a relaxing afternoon and some great country views can be seen in the surrounding areas of Mae Sot.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Shrine of PawoShrine of Pawo
Shrine of Pawo

Pawo is the Thai equivalent of what St Christopher signifies to Christians.


Tot: 0.049s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 25; dbt: 0.027s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb