Our town Mae Sot


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand » Mae Sot
November 22nd 2008
Published: December 4th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Collated from various resources I have included some information about Mae Sot, which will give a clearer, more informative description of our town.

Mae Sot is a small town in Tak province, 8-9 hours by bus from Bangkok and has a population of approximately 106,415. It is located about 5km from the western border of Thailand and Burma with the Moei River as the national boundary. Mae Sot is home to one of the most important gateways where the Asia highway links Thailand and Burma. The Thai-Myanmar Friendship Bridge Moei River was constructed in 1997. If Burma policies change to open up international travel to foreigners this could potentially be one of Asia’s great routes, taking travelers all the way from Istanbul to Singapore.

Mae Sot is a culturally diverse town with a fascinating mixture of people (what I love most about it). Dozens of ethnic groups live in the area such as the Karen, Hmong, Yao, Lahu, and Buddhist and Muslim Burmese. There are Burmese men in longyi (sarongs), Hmong and Karen in traditional hill-tribe dress and Thai army rangers. Shop street signs can be found in Thai, Burmese and Chinese. Even the Thai trainers tell me that
Inside Aiya, images of Che GuevaraInside Aiya, images of Che GuevaraInside Aiya, images of Che Guevara

The Karen and Burmese cause is linked to Che's revolutionary doctrines and his principles. He is a symbolic icon in this town.
Mae Sot does not feel like a part of Thailand because they have difficulties communicating with the various languages spoken. Mae Sot’s Burmese population is largely Muslim while those living outside town are Buddhist and Karen, mostly Christian. Jac and I live close to what locals refer to as the Muslim area; it is near the mosque, shopping district and school.

Mae Sot has become an important jade and gem trade centre along the border with most of it controlled by Chinese and Indian immigrants from Burma. Near the Moei River and Friendship bridge many shops sell Burmese tapestries, woven cloth and amazing teak woodwork. This is where I have purchased a lot of my furniture. The town has a Tesco (supermarket), local markets where I can buy lots of fresh fruit and veggies, internet cafes, restaurants, hotels, bars and many 7 Elevens. Colleagues tell me that Mae Hong Son will be even more remote and rural then this. Although with a population of over 100,000 it is hardly remote!

Attached are some additional pictures of Mae Sot; our house location, market next to my work, the Thai-Myanmar Friendship Bridge and our favorite restaurant in town Aiya.



Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Live music every Friday night at AiyaLive music every Friday night at Aiya
Live music every Friday night at Aiya

Our Burmese John Lennon, he has a great voice!


Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0498s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb