Luang Prabang - Chiang Rai - Mae Sai - Chiang Mai


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand » Mae Sai
May 24th 2008
Published: May 24th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Dear Readers - We flew out of Luang Prabang on Lao Airlines for Chiang Mai, Thailand at which point we hired a car and driver for transportation to Chiang Rai. The driver, Pasa Ratananont, had spent several years in California so spoke good English and turned out to be an excellent tour guide. If anyone is interested in a private sightseeing tour, call him at 081-8840771 or email at pasa_rata@hotmail.com. His car is a new Toyota sedan.

Upon arrival at our hotel in Chiang Rai we immediately went to bed as we needed to recover from activities of the last two weeks. We didn't do too much in the city but the day we left, we again hired Mr. Ratananont to take us to the border at Mai Sai. We went to the northern most point in Thailand, where you can look across the river to Burma. We visited a jade factory and had an interesting tour. The jade all comes from a mine in Burma. We did buy a few pieces as they come with a certificate of authenticity.

We then went to the Golden Triangle where Thailand, Burma and Laos all border together, separated by the Mekong River. We did take a short long tail boat over to Laos to a village that sells handicrafts. We visited the opium museum. temples, and other points of interest as we headed south to Chiang Mai. We arrived at Mike's Burger stop in Chiang Mai at 7:00 PM. Mike's Burgers, for anyone having that "gotta have beef " feeling, it's a great place to stop.

All for now,
Jim and Ann


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



31st May 2008

Now on Koh Samui
Hi you guys - We flew down to Koh Samui today and have spent the day by the pool. Trying to work on our tan. The weather today has been good. Hopefully it will stay that way but this is the rainy season. Sounds like you are doing a great job down sizing. Keep it up. I will email Dana. Love you, Jim and Ann
23rd November 2009

good news from Thailand
We are going to Chiang Mai , also from Luang Prabang, we got good idea after reanding your experience , we want to do it the same way, Thanks

Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0338s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb