THE GOLDEN TRIANGLE


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand » Mae Sai
October 17th 2007
Published: October 25th 2007
Edit Blog Post

 Stupa in Chiang Rean Stupa in Chiang Rean Stupa in Chiang Rean

Very old stupa
On way to GOLDEN TRIANGLE
Wednesday 17th October - Up at 6.00 and down to breakfast. Had a short walk and then Mr N took me to the Chiang Mai bus station. Ticket but had to wait about an hour for the 9.30 bus. No air con but was comfortable and breezy. About 10.30 the police got on the bus to check the locals' identifications - I didn't get asked for anything. Then arrived at Chiang Rai about 12.50 and had a wait and left at 1.30. Went through a couple of nice towns and arrived Chiang Saen, about 3.00. Off the bus and got a tuk tuk and after visiting a damaged Stupa (one in Vientiane) headed along the Mekong River to the village of Sopuraka and booked into the Golden Home Guest Home. Had a great wander around and saw the Huge Buddah on Boat, markets, Wat Phra Kao Pagoda and from here you looked out over to Laos, Myanmar and Thailand - hence the name GT. Called into the Opium Museum and then at 6.30 met tour operator, Mr Khan to arrange something for the next day. Had a wonderful 2 hour Thai Massage in my room and after a beer went to bed.

Thursday 18th October - Up early and breakfast and saw Mr Khan and met Tom, my guide. Went down to the Plaza to take photo and then a short boat trip on the Mekong to Don Sao in Laos. Here I visited the markets and saw a Black Bear and two monkeys. Boat back to Sobruak Village and then drove to Mae Sai. Stopped off at a Jade Factory and then Tom dropped me at the Immigration Point where you pay 500 Baht, leave your passport and then you are in Myanmar!



Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

golden trianglegolden triangle
golden triangle

Sobruak Village in the Golden Triangle - Thailand
Huge Buddah in SobruakHuge Buddah in Sobruak
Huge Buddah in Sobruak

This is just an amazing piece of architecture - can be seen for miles around
Can see where this isCan see where this is
Can see where this is

With a group of tribal children
Just about to enter LaosJust about to enter Laos
Just about to enter Laos

Shortboat trip over to Laos -
Last photo of BuddahLast photo of Buddah
Last photo of Buddah

Last photo of buddah taken from boat


Tot: 0.089s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0525s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb