Koh Phangan bound


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Eastern Thailand
February 9th 2013
Published: April 14th 2013
Edit Blog Post

This morning we are awoken by some load bangs going off, after dragging ourselves out we discover that part of Chinese New Year celebrations is to get big strips of fire crackers set up on sticks over the sea and set them off. Nice!

They managed to make me jump a few more times during the morning ass I was sat on the wall over looking the sea.....think they were having a right laugh at my expense!

By midday we head to catch our train too chambound, 3 1/2 hour journey and costs less than £1 each that's what we like.

Train journey is OK bench seats we just sit and wat the beautiful scenery pass by. We arrive in chambound at 6 and head straight to the travel agents to get our night ferry tickets booked to go to Koh Tao.

350 baht all in for a bed for the night and the soothe of the waves rocking us to sleep...we hope.

The ferry doesn't leave until 11 pm so we have a few hours to kill wandering another food market ....not complaining.

We are picked up from the travel/bar at 9.45 and driven to the dock, you then get given a bed number and you hop on board.

We were pleasantly surprised, there is a large room filled within no beds, with pillows and blankets and everyone settling down for night.

I awake at 5 am and we still haven't reached Koh Tao so take the opportunity to stand on the deck at the back and watch for the sun to rise.

By 6am we land (the sun still hasn't risen) we make a hasty escape as we are heading straight on another boat to Koh Pahang which leaves at 6.30 am.

Now the fun starts : ( the sea all of a sudden gets particularly rough and this time were sat on seats inside the catamaran, not a great idea for anyone with sea sickness especially children. Richard had the same child throw up on him twice, I couldnt help him with the smell and the waves my head was buried in my coat, eyes firmly closed the whole trip 😞

Fresh air was a blessing when we finally arrived after an hour.

Luckily we had booked to stay in some bungalows on the other side of the island in Than Sadet, unlukily its a pain to get to. Thoroughly tired and delicate feeling we jumped on the first taxi, guaranteed ripped us off but by that point we would have agreed to anything.

The roads are interesting here, switching between aspelt with large cracks in and dirt roads that have rocks protruding up in the middle of them.

Its all worth it when we arrive, a little piece off heaven greats us, its a beautiful little bay with bungalow resort both ends and a couple of restaurants in between nothing fancy but tranquil, don't mind if we do.....

The way to get Plaa's bungalows is like something out of an Aladdin film, you walk along the rocks until it looks like you can go no further and the to your left is a secret passage underneath the rocks and then a stair case the other side amazing.

The bungalows are set up in the rocks, each with a little balcony. We are get given one nestled in the rock face (number 4).

The place is so relaxed we decide this is definalty the place for us to stop a week or so : )


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.123s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0605s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb