The Koh Tao experience


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Eastern Thailand
May 7th 2008
Published: May 7th 2008
Edit Blog Post

So the second day of diving in Koh Toa was an extremely memorable experience....WE SAW A WHALE SHARK!!!!! Not only was it an amazing sight but it was also a very rare one because some experienced divers who have completed hundreds of dives have never had the privilage of seeing one.

As soon as we entered the water from the boat and looked down into the depths of the ocean below through our masks there it was. Surrounded by divers on either side the whale shark swam elegantly past. Once we decended into the ocean we had the privalege of seeing this wonderful animal 2 more times. Words simply cannot explain what an amazing experience it was!

So back to the blog....after completing my PADI open water course i enroled on the advanced course so now i am officially a PADI advanced open water diver which basically means that i can decend to 30 metres as opposed to the 18 metre limit imposed by the basic open water course. It also means that i can do night dives now if i want..hopefully the sharks will not come out at night to eat me!!

I managed to survive my first night dive thankfully although i did find it a frightening experience. Most of my dive was spent trying to keep tabs of my buddy who i was convinced i would lose and feeling fearful of touching the corals which i could not see due to the darkness combined with poor visability.

As for Koh Tao. Well i can see why no-one ever wants to leave. Diving is highly addictive and i would definately recommend it to anyone. Since my arrival here i have met loads of people and have spent almost every night in the few bars that exist here. Days when not diving are spent lounging on the beach soaking up the suns rays and nights are spent drinking....i think i really should go soon cos its not doing my liver any good. I would definately not recommend playing drinking games with strawberry daquaries just because they are 2 for 1!!!

Anyhow next stop is probably Koh Samui....but the plans could change again!



Advertisement



Tot: 0.156s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 8; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0761s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb