Ko Pahngan


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Eastern Thailand
March 25th 2008
Published: March 25th 2008
Edit Blog Post

I havent got too long here, but ill do my best to fill you in. We spent around 5 fun filled days in Ko Pahngan. Originally, we got the impression that Hat Rin (the party section of the island) , would be fully booked. Everyone wed met, including three chicks from the bus we took from Bangkok, were paying ridiculous prices in order to secure their place in Hat Rin. Having left it a little late, and not really wanting to fork out 1500 baht a night, we booked a place that was 30 minutes from Hat Rin on the west coast. Stepping off the ferry we caught a taxi in which we sit on the back of a truck and hold on. The place we arrived at was absolutely beautiful. Me and Luke named our bungalow (bachealor pad) "rowdy" which lied right on the sea front. Initially we were so happy top be in paradise, thing is, the island is infamous for being the place to party- and we felt secluded. Walking up the beach, all we saw were big lizards, old people and nudists. Not really being my cup of tea, we hired motorbikes and went in search of a place closer to Hat Rin while Katie (typically) slothed out on the beach ( i swear i say this every blog??!). The bikes were so fun. Racing around at 40mph, we eventually found Sunbeach bungalows which were a 10 minute walk from Hat Rin central. After depositing our first nights payment, we carefully rode back in the dark to tell Katie the good news. It seemed as though travel agents had hyped the extent to which people flock Hat Rin. People think they have to spend lots of money and race to the beach to get a spot- this wasnt the case. Anyway, we were paying 250 baht a night which works out at 4 pounds each a night. In the mean time, Katie had booked us a taxi at 8pm for Hat Rin. Getting a taxi here is quite difficult. As Luke found out later in the week, the drivers are absolute bastards (much like england really), and will charge ridiculous prices for 5 minute journeys. Sometimes they will take you to a rmeote part of the island jungle and charge whatever they like to get you back! Our first night in Hat Rin was good fun. Over here, they sell drinks in buckets instead of glasses which I thought was genious. In order to get your bucket, you have to walk past the mass of sellers who scream at you saying how great you are and that they love you. Although this is kind of creepy, i eventually settled with a cute girl called Lisa who I later returned to in the week. By the end of it, she even gave me a free one. Later that night we stumbled upon "crazy girl number 1" who introduced us to her mates. luckily for me, they were a bunch of absolute heroes, everyone of them being a 20 something year old Liverpool fan. After much singing, laughing and doing the Hakka (I still have no idea why), I got chatting to a very charming Australian lass and had a great night. Later on I found Katie and Luke dancing around at the drop in bar with a bunch of people theyd met. The Drop in bar was the place to be. It was in the centre of the beach, and played all the popular dance tracks which is was temporarily loving until i heard the same song three times in an hour. That nigth we stayed in the newer, closer accomodation considering that none of us could be bothered to hail a cab to our initial accomodation.

The next morning, I jumped on Stevie Barritone (my motorbike) only to reealise that id left the elather seat out in the sun the entire morning. Immediately hopping back off screaming, I gave it a minute, and proceeded to drive up to the initial accomodation to grab my luggage that id left their the previous night. Because we only had two bikes, we had to follow a taxi which would hold all our stuff and katie in the back. I was absolutely ragging it to try and catch up with the taxi. Having heard how dodgy the drivers are, i really didnt want to lose Katie and all our valuables, and so, i was going 100kmh on potholed roads. Relieved to be alive, we had all our baggage at the sunbeach bunglaows 2 hours later. On the way we had stopped off for a burger and a mango juice (my new passion). Having recently come off the malarone, I had completley lost my appetite. Only now, a week later have i regained most of it. That night we all went to a pool party which was 1 minute down the beach front. With fluroscent paint all ove rmy face, we bumped into a lad wed met at Bangkok called Kasper. I cant remember whether id told the stry or not so here it is. In Bangkok, we had met a Danish guy called Kasper. To cut a long story short, we went partying with him and he left all his valuables in Lukes bag by accident. We had spent a good 8 days trying to recontact him etc, but with no luck. Out of the blue, we find him in Ko Pahngan on the beach with 10000 other people dancing around! Its strange really, but theres at least 5 people i know through traveling who i keep bumping into around the world. At the beach party, I felt like id been plunged into the depths of a hit series called "The O.C". The place was full of jocks all stripping off and brawling in the water, while all the women were in bikinis sipping on cocktails. Anyway, i felt pretty dodge from the malarone withdrawal so i left early and got some rest.

In Ko Pahngan, there is really nothing much to do in the day. It is completley a night life island. The next day was the day before the full moon party. We'd heard it would be a great night so we all went down to Hat Rin for more dancing and more chaos. Every day, I was waking up late from the night before. Although mormally this is my dream, i was waking up in the most relaistic simluation of a sauna I could possibly imagine! Most mornings i took refuge in the freezing shower.
The day had finally arrived. It was the night of the full moon party and I could feel the tension. Today was the day where a good 10000 people would be arriving just to party hard that night. In the day i tried my best to eat scrambled eggs and toast, and then milled around on the beach, listerning to my ipod and saving myself for that night. The full moon party happened to coinside with my Mum's birthday on the 21st. I let her know that i was goign to party for both me and her, haha. The party blew all expectations out of the water. I cant describe what it felt like, but ill use my travel guides reference- "The full Moon Party is like being in Apocolypse Now, but without the warfare". That night me and Luke met some really down to earth swedish girls, and Katie went off partying with some lad. Another funny coincidence, is that out of the blue, i bumped into Jess Holman, a friend from home. Me and Luek were convinced that our drinks had been spiked and that we were seeing things! it was grea tto see her, and we promised to meet up in Ko Tao which was both ours and her next destination. That night, I slept pont he beach until 8am the next morning. It was the strangest thing to wake up and see people still raving in full daylight. Not having the energy to pull any more dance moves, i walked home and appreciated the comfort of having a bed.

We'd all had great fun in Ko Pahngan but felt like our time was up. Next stop is the very relaxed and smaller island, Ko Tao. I think we really need to chill out a bit and get my health up.

Thanks for the message jack, I can tell youve been working- you write very well! Remember what i saif about the exams, and all the best mate. Hope everyone at home is A OK. Im in Ko Tao rigth now, and will put pictures up in due course. All my Love, Robster (the burnt) lobster xxxxx

Advertisement



Tot: 0.13s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0494s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb