Koh Samui


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand
December 17th 2009
Published: December 17th 2009
Edit Blog Post

After getting back from Koh Chang we spent another couple of days in Bangkok. As we get to know the city I am beginning to like it more and more. On Monday we went to Lumphini Park which is a peaceful park with lakes in the middle of Bangkok, surrounded by sky scrapers. The lakes are inhabited by lots of huge monitor Lizards, the largest being maybe 6-7ft from head to tale. They were all out basking in the sun so we could get pretty close to take photo's. They are really good swimmers and look a little bit like crocs in the water from distance. They were everywhere you had to watch where you walked - it is just a normal park though with joggers and an outdoor gym etc.. Also in Bangkok, due to Phils almost unhealthy obsession with the local chain of convenience stores over here (7/11's) he managed to buy an actual 7/11 shirt off the shopkeepers back! see pics..
We got the bus (scary - the driver drove like a lunatic - so fast!) overnight from BKK to the port and then the ferry to Koh Samui. Koh Samui is the biggest of the Southern Thai Gulf islands and also the most touristy. We got a hut right on Lamai beach, a flip-flops throw from the water. The beach is nice - golden sand and warm water. Yesterday we went game fishing with some guys we met on the ferry - two frenchmen, and an aussie. We didnt catch many big fish though - I caught 3 grouper from my line. The biggest were maybe 2ft long, not sure what they were but they were silver with yellow tails. We barbecued them for lunch - delicious!! We stopped at a remote island and took a swim at the beach there. Today we left Koh Samui and got the 3 hour ferry to Koh Tao which is where we are now. Koh Tao is the smaller of the southern gulf islands and is almost exclusively a destination for scuba diving has been built up a lot since I was last here 6 years ago but it is still stunning. As close to paradise as I have seen! One of the french guys we met in Koh Samui (Peter - he lives on Jersey) decided to come with us as he wants to go diving too, so we have a bungalow for 3. We have signed up for our 4 day diving course with Phoenix diving, and they provide our accomodation in the price. Gus worked for Phoenix as a dive instructer for 2 years and recomended them to us. Anyway - the course starts tomorrow so early night for me - I cant wait to get underwater!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement



Tot: 0.458s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 60; dbt: 0.2196s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb