lopburi, the city beseiged by monkeys!


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Lopburi
May 17th 2007
Published: May 17th 2007
Edit Blog Post

met up with new friends patrick and jocelyne at breakfast, patrick gave us more awesome info and tips. very helpful! we wrote down good places in victoria for jocelyne to visit on her way home to quebec (she's from baie comie, one of the places we drove through!)

have dumped our 'full travelling gear' (day back and main pack, worn while going place to place, usually flailing around a packed thai public bus) as our sumo suits. also have created a star system to rate cleanliness of underwear and other clothing. yes, it's very necessary. we rinse everything out every night, but then it's usually only a half star. (i'm writing this about ten days later - now having had our laundry done here too, they seem to never reach a full 'star' of cleanliness. my mucky shirt from laying on a elephant came back practically dirtier than when i sent it in!!)

got the bus to lopburi, the city beseiged by monkeys! kim has acquired official helmet status after smacking her head in the bus and then again on a road sign. yes, the watching locals laughed. hehe don't worry, she's ok.

also met a persistent monk on the bus who seemed to REALLY want to talk to kim (she attracts all the desperate-to-talk-to-farang locals. probably cos of her blinding white skin.) when she didn't understand what he was saying, he wrote it in thai scrip on his hand and was trying to get her to read it! needless to say, kim's thai has not advanced far enough to know what the eff was going on.

visited a wat (temple) called wat changlom, old ruins. really neat! then had lunch a great place where the proprieter was clearly bored as he wouldn't leave us alone. as we were leaving, a baby elephant came up!!! so we got to feed him little bananas and giggle and take pictures.

we then went and looked at the insane number of monkeys and took about 5 pictures for every 1 monkey (lots!). then ran away from some, but they don't chase you. they're very used to people. that took awhile, and by that time the museum we were going to see what closed. wandered through a market and realized it was stinking hot, our feet hurt, and we had 4 hours to kill until our train.

we heard cheesy thai euro-pop coming from the main park, so we headed over to investigate. practice session for dance dance revolution! hehe it was an aerobics class in the main square! we enjoyed ourselve immensely naming different participants after our friends, using their similar displayed personalities. class was led by a guy in very effeminite tight spandex pants.

DID YOU KNOW that about 40% of the thai population identifies as homosexual? it's so accepted here, it's awesome! there are a lot of she-he s that one can never be sure to refer to as him or her.

watched for hours and then played on the internet, before heading to catch our night train to lampang.

met a cute baby in the train station wearing shoes that squeaked with every step. so adorable! we fed him chips.

accidentally made a scene when a big bug was in my hair and the entire station stared at us. hehe

Advertisement



28th May 2007

I hope
you didn't name as he/she after me hehe :P

Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0341s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb