Ayuthaya


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Ayutthaya
May 25th 2006
Published: July 21st 2006
Edit Blog Post

We returned to Bangkok from Myanmar as we had booked a round-trip ticket from Bangkok to await our reunion with Jon - my friend who we had visited earlier during our trip in Taiwan. Since we had seen everything there is to see in Bangkok - twice now - we decided to take a day trip to the ancient capital city of Siam - Ayuthaya. When in Bangkok (especially when staying on Khao San Rd), there are multitudes of travels agents offering tours, however, we decided to bypass this option and head for the government bus station first thing in the morning. The bus system in Bangkok - including quality of buses - is wonderful; much better than anything we have back in the US. We hopped on a comfortable bus for the two hour ride out of the city. We arrived, hired a tuk-tuk driver for the day and toured the sights throughout the city. There were a few cool sights of which I will include the pictures - especially the Buddha head enveloped by a tree. The best part of the day was our stop at the elephant kraal - it's an organization set up to rescue and rehabilitate elephants. There is no entrance fee and you may spend unlimited amount of time interacting with the baby elephants and their mothers. They were unbelievably playful and affectionate; this portion of the day was enough for our day trip out here.

Jon and Miles (Miles is a American working in Taiwan with Jon) arrived late night in Bangkok and we proceeded to grab a bunch of beers at a streetside bar. We also ran into a couple of fellas from England - Jamie and Andrew - with whom we last saw in India months earlier in our trip; they joined us for some beers as well. It was a late night and a long day that followed the next day. Nonetheless, we booked our train tickets to Laos for that next day. Train traveled overnight from Bangkok to the Laos border where we were planning to spend the next few weeks. I will get into Laos in the next blog - this should be soon.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Late Night in a Tuk TukLate Night in a Tuk Tuk
Late Night in a Tuk Tuk

Random guy, Jon and Miles (from left to right)
On the Overnight TrainOn the Overnight Train
On the Overnight Train

Jill and Miles in their beds
At the borderAt the border
At the border

walking into Laos


Tot: 0.135s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 14; qc: 63; dbt: 0.0926s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb