A Healthy Dose of Wat?


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Ayutthaya
February 29th 2008
Published: March 10th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Koh Samed’s effect was powerful enough to temporarily warp our brains, causing us to forget that our flight out of Bangkok and into Kathmandu was on Feb 25, not Feb 26, bottom-line, we missed our flight out of Thailand….no worries. The next flight wasn’t leaving for several more days, so, we decided to catch a train to the north of Bangkok to visit the ancient Siam capital of Ayutthaya. The Thai trains were great…beat up old cars with windows that opened up dangerously wide and doorways without doors so you could hang your entire body outside the train while at full speed….great fun!!

We arrived in the afternoon and got lodged at a beautiful traditional Thai teak wood house landscaped with orchids, frangipani, lotus and mangoes trees. We dropped our stuff in the room, rented a motorbike and blasted off to explore the “island” of Ayutthaya. The island felt like some sort of Asian version of Rome, with massive ruins scattered amongst a modern functioning city. Unfortunately, most of the temples (wats) lie in a serious state of ruin and most images of Buddha are badly damaged, save for a few. Even still, the ruins are incredibly picturesque, and, wandering
MY DEBUT NOVEL AVAILABLE NOW!MY DEBUT NOVEL AVAILABLE NOW!MY DEBUT NOVEL AVAILABLE NOW!

Visit me at www.danielshortell.com for purchase information.
through them, you can’t help but wander what the city must have been like before it was sacked. The stupas, chedis and other structures that do remain give a wonderfully ancient feel to this very hospitable little town surrounded by rivers. At night, we cruised through the markets, sipping freshly squeezed juice, searching for “must-haves” and eating up the local fare. The town, like the rest of the places we have been to in Thailand, was easy-going, friendly, had great food everywhere, and was difficult to leave once our time was up. Thank you Thailand!!

Next stop, Nepal. Something tells me things are about to get interesting…

STATISTICS






Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement



10th March 2008

What's tuk-tuk? What you feed the elephant? The buddhas there is different with the ones in China, right?

Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 18; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0215s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb