six months in Taipei


Advertisement
Taiwan's flag
Asia » Taiwan » Taipei » Ximending
January 31st 2006
Published: February 1st 2006
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Journey so far

Next stop OZ

Life on a bikeLife on a bikeLife on a bike

Scooters are the only way to go
The first six months in Taipei seem to have traveled so fast. The troubles and trials of adapting to life seem so long ago now that it was hard to see why they happened at all. For me it was not an easy transistion into Taiwan life.

We arrived in late September and the humidity was rife. Taipei is not on first glance a beutiful city and the hazey skyline offered little respite from the heat that seemed to press down so heavily on my smile. Layers of sweat, smoke and mosquitoes hung in the air like a bad tempered rainbow in our hostel and even the roaches seemed to worn out by the heat to do anything but sit and wait. Only the typhoons were strong enough to life the blanket of heat and came as exciting bursts of relief.

The change in seasons bought a change in opinion with them and life started to look good. We found a really nice apartment and could at last unpack. We settled into a cushy little teaching job working just 4 and a half hours a day and began to look more closley at life i the city.

Ugliness
TaipeiTaipeiTaipei

mixing the old with the new
changed to quirkiness, trials turned to adventures and many weekends turned into surprises after stumbling into some carnival or random display of life and culture. It felt as though the people of taiwan were trying to make an effort and so it seemed right that i do the same.

We met some friends, found new places everyday and new adventures to take. Walking around produced a smile at the fact that i am here, in taiwan... Its such a randomly crazy sort of a place. Little oddities and cultural confusion add to life now instead of hindering it. We are discovering its inner beauty and am looking forward to finding more about the island home from home.

The locals are amoung the friendliest people i have ever encountered and their helpfulness goes above and beyond time and time again. The chickens feet, and stinky tofu are yet to become regular spots on my menu but one thing at a time eh?

hopefully now the next six months will be even more enjoyable now the fear has lifted and all seems right. So here at Chinese new year seems a good time to start a blog.

take
carnivalcarnivalcarnival

another random day
it easy

ben








Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

lanternlantern
lantern

happy new years


Tot: 0.387s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 8; qc: 52; dbt: 0.2867s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb